Biggest PP regrets

Probably giving up my gold badge after PPIII, not willing to pay for it without knowing what bands would be on the setlist, and end up buying tickets for PPIV anyways. (Damn Glenn for bringing Nightwish to ProgPower.)

Passing on last year when the only band I was really interested in was After Forever, then finding out their local date was right smack dab in the middle of my trip to CA.

Jason

Probably giving up my gold badge after PPIII, not willing to pay for it without knowing what bands would be on the setlist, and end up buying tickets for PPIV anyways.

You didn't have to pay for it without knowing the bands. While many people choose to purchase before the bands are announced, the gold badge payment deadline is always at least 2 weeks after the full Friday and Saturday roster has been announced.

My main regret is not finding out about the fest until I saw a review for VII, thus making VIII my first year.

Secondary is missing Firewind and Threshold last year. Firewind, I understood the draw of the set (and was actually looking forward to it) but ended up socializing instead, and the same for Threshold - two mistakes that, after hearing about them from others, I am intensely disappointed about making.

Missing PP III & IV. I didn't know about PP back then. I have seen most of the bands by now, but damn, it's a completely different experience seeing them all in the same stage.

You didn't have to pay for it without knowing the bands. While many people choose to purchase before the bands are announced, the gold badge payment deadline is always at least 2 weeks after the full Friday and Saturday roster has been announced.

I remember the deadline being before the announcements for bands, otherwise I would have kept my Gold badge. Course, I have no idea how it is now.

Jason

I remember the deadline being before the announcements for bands, otherwise I would have kept my Gold badge. Course, I have no idea how it is now.

Jason

I can see where you're coming from, given that was only the 2nd year for gold badges, the system wasn't fully worked out yet. For ProgPower II, gold badges were available before regular tickets, but there were still some available even weeks or months after the lineup announcements. For ProgPower III, the total number of gold badges was reduced, so presumably fewer people could get one to begin with. I just looked back at my ProgPower e-mails from 2002, and it turns out there really was no deadline that year. It seems like Glenn was planning to announce the majority of the roster on a certain date, then open up gold badge purchasing. But a lot of people who had gold badges the previous year started e-mailing him with interest in buying one even before the roster announcement, so by the time he got around to the intended gold badge sale date, they were all already reserved. This happened simply because of the combination of intense early interest and the reduction in total gold badges. I would imagine that number is stable at this point, so now everyone who had one the previous year gets the chance to buy one after knowing the full lineup, without having to worry that they will all get snapped up before the roster announcement. However, even in 2002, Glenn still wound up putting 50 additional gold badges on sale after the first batch was sold out, and those were not available until after 7 of the 10 bands were announced (Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra, Pain Of Salvation, Edguy, Threshold, Reading Zero... with Devin Townsend, Silent Force, Zero Hour not being announced until later).

I didn’t “discover” ProgPower until VII, so I have plenty of regrets…especially Stratovarius, Edguy, Symphony X, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and Vanden Plas. :cry: