Biggest Surprise Album of 2014

thornh

Mar 8, 2006
New Hampshire
Alright, so we're all big Amon Amarth fans. But I know we are all Metal fans first and foremost. 2014 has been another great year for Metal, even without an AA album, and there have been a few surprises, at least for me, along the way.

So, what band and/or album has surprised you, so far, this year? Was it a good surprise or did it unexpectedly disappoint?

Here's mine:

Falconer - Black Moon Rising I've always tried to like Falconer but just could never fully embrace their music. I'm not an overly big fan of "traditional" clean heavy metal vocals. Maybe listening to bands like Grand Magus has changed my ear slightly. Black Moon Rising far exceeded any of my expectations for the album. Definitely worth a listen.

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls I'll be happy to be alive in my 60s. These guys are still making decent metal albums. I am picking this mainly for the song Halls of Valhalla. Another pleasant surprise as I originally had no interest at all in this album.

Equilibrium - Erdentempel Unfortunately I think my expectations were too high for this album. I keep hoping this band will better Sagas but, at least to me, it didn't happen this time. Now that most of the original members are gone I do not have high hopes that they will ever equal the awesomeness of Sagas.

I was surprised by The Satanist. I was a Behemoth before it, but this one is miles ahead of their other work in my opinion. Absolutely one of my favourite albums now.

The new Mastodon is quite the pleasant surprise as well, just like the new Cannibal Corpse is going to be, probably. At least judging from the one song they've released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRWK17T4_M) it's going to be a great album.

Agreed PowerBlade - The Satanist is a great album.

Still have to check the new Insomnium and Agalloch - anybody already listened to those?

tons of good releases. in fact 2014 has been the best year for metal of the past two decades.

exceptional/high quality/solid releases from (just to name a few):

septic flesh
devin townsend
behemoth
arch enemy
grave digger
gamma ray
sabaton
insomnium
anubis gate
teramaze
vallenfyre
enthroned
conquering dystopia
anathema
Vader
Mayhem

And the best is still to come later this year (again, to name only a few upcoming releases):

At the Gates
Nokturnal Mortum (surely will be album of the year, in any genre...)
Threshold
Overkill
November's Doom

yea....2014...an unbelievable year, for sure.

The new Arch Enemy is incredible .
I am REALLY looking forward to the new Carach Angren album coming this year (symphonic black metal at its finest , I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that wants a perfect example of symphonic black metal done the right way).
The new MayheM was terrible in my opinion (I love Deathcrush,DMDS and Wolf Lair Abyss). As for the new Sabaton , well I will attend the release show here in Romania , so really looking forward to that (even though its in January next year) :D
But the best album , for me , is clearly The Satanist. Absolute killer, gonna see these guys in August together with Fleshgod Apocalypse , Obituary , Sodom , The Agonist (although I really wanted to see them with Alissa , that won't happen...) , Belphegor and a ton of other killers .
But , after all , this year I finally saw my heroes live , after 5 years of being a crazy fan , on 29 April in Bucharest ... words can't describe the feeling when they came in stage . Also got to meet them , and Olavi is the coolest fucking guy in the universe , really . (best day of my life probably - no I am not a virgin)
Also heard some rumours of Ensiferum working on some new stuff (after the new Dimmu got delayed for over a year , damn it).

Carach Angren; Love those guys. Didn't know they had new stuff coming this year.

New Grave Digger is really good

Some band I never heard of, Sylvatica, is excellent

Vader was awesome

Almost too many to list

Looking forward to:

Primordial
King of Asgard
November's Doom