Bittersweet Feast

Jeebo

Dec 29, 2005
Man oh man, I can't believe I never really gave this song the time of day (I usually skip over it when listening to TGE)...It's so awesome because it's so different from other songs I've heard. I think the diminished/atonal chords give it a cool ambiance. I especially dig the solo...it's awesome! What kind of effect are you using in the beginning of the solo steve? Super Flanger/Phaser (Pitch Shifter)? On another note, I was curious which section of "Marked by Darkness" is your solo. I'm glad you cameod on The Sickness Within, Hatesphere is excellent :headbang:

Hey Jeebo,
Well, IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU LISTENED TO THAT SONG MAN!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, thanks for listening, glad you like it!
The effect used in the beginning is a flanger, and it's whatever Andy prefers to use, it was my suggestion to throw that on the intro of the solo, to kind of trip it out a little bit, also is on that line thorughout the prechours as well. Listen with headphones, it's a little bit of ear candy for ya....:headbang:
The next part is the good ole Digitech Whammy pedal!
On the Hateshpere song, Marked By Darkness, the solos I believe are markwed on the album(?), but I believe mine are the 1st and 3rd solos, with Peter in between that. I need to have the CD in front of me to tell you, but don't have it here presently...
I'm really stoked for those guys, and wish them all the best on the US release of The Sickness Within!!! It's a fucking awesome album!!! Check it out when it comes out, all you who do not know them yet!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :Smokin:

Bittersweet feast has always been one of my favorites from TGE.
The part where warrel sings "the blasphemous river washes away your mistakes" gives me the biggest chills on TGE.

Steve Smyth said:
Hey Jeebo,
Well, IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU LISTENED TO THAT SONG MAN!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, thanks for listening, glad you like it!
The effect used in the beginning is a flanger, and it's whatever Andy prefers to use, it was my suggestion to throw that on the intro of the solo, to kind of trip it out a little bit, also is on that line thorughout the prechours as well. Listen with headphones, it's a little bit of ear candy for ya....:headbang:
The next part is the good ole Digitech Whammy pedal!
On the Hateshpere song, Marked By Darkness, the solos I believe are markwed on the album(?), but I believe mine are the 1st and 3rd solos, with Peter in between that. I need to have the CD in front of me to tell you, but don't have it here presently...
I'm really stoked for those guys, and wish them all the best on the US release of The Sickness Within!!! It's a fucking awesome album!!! Check it out when it comes out, all you who do not know them yet!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :Smokin:

I especially love the solo in Bittersweet Feast, it's very groovy and melodic. It really shows how your style compliments Jeff despite the differences in playing styles; you're the ying to his yang I might say :lol:

Did you improvise your solos on TGE? I remember reading somewhere that Jeff did and either way, I can't fathom the fact that the solos are improvised on the spot...that's sick!

I don't have the album. I'll be getting it when it's available in the states. I hope they come tour in the U.S. soon or I might just have to go out and see them at wacken when you're back playing with NM :headbang:, as I highly doubt I'd ever see both bands together, or alone for that matter, in Atlanta. I was really pissed that I missed the show with Opeth. It's rare that we get good bands to play; the music scene here is pretty crappy.

We have asked this question to them quite a few times. They also addressed it in the GW column Jeff and Steve did.

The solos on the CD were improvised for the most part, but if there was something from a previous take they liked they kept it. So it was kinda both written from pre improvised takes and improvised totally off the cuff.

Bittersweet is one of my FAVE songs from TGE its just so brutal. Actually come to think of it my fave 2 songs on the disc steve wrote ... lol

I am humbled and honored, Guru!
And, you're right, that's the perspective the solos were done on this album. I alrewady had a good idea going in of what the melody would be like, and improvised some shred stuff around what I already had.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

the phish said:
I really thought Guitar world was going to have a column showing us how to play it... GRR.
Yeah, me too! But they ended the column at 1 year. Bummer.
If I can get together the RIGHT_ WAY_ to post tab on this forum, I'll do it myself, gladly.
I'm glad you guys like the song! Thanks!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

If Power Tab is too much work there are programs that'll do text-only tab like Easy Guitar Tab Maker (which is free - http://www.lookoutsoft.net/ ). Hell, if you send me something from Easy Guitar Tab Maker I'll put it in Powertab or Guitar Pro with proper rhythm and everything.

Jeff

Steve Smyth said:
Yeah, me too! But they ended the column at 1 year. Bummer.
If I can get together the RIGHT_ WAY_ to post tab on this forum, I'll do it myself, gladly.
I'm glad you guys like the song! Thanks!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

There has to be some way to post in code on these forums. Ive seen people do it. Im computer illiterate so i dont know haha

I doubt the board has a tab form but if you just do the

E---------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------- et cetera

thing and break it up by riff that would get a good chunk of the stuff.

Jeff

i think i have listened to TGE a billion plus times including every other Nevermore album out there, the music never gets old and never will. I can listen to it over and over agian and still reach my climax like i have before with the other nevermore albums

:loco:

great song, really great song, that combined with wd's lyrics in that songs specifically=metal paradise. i really dig it Steve! It is one of my favs from the album along with the title track and the psalm of lydia and a future uncertain. those songs should be played live at every show. Steve, when you get well and back on tour, please make nevermore play these songs live!
METAL

lordofthesewers said:
great song, really great song, that combined with wd's lyrics in that songs specifically=metal paradise. i really dig it Steve! It is one of my favs from the album along with the title track and the psalm of lydia and a future uncertain. those songs should be played live at every show. Steve, when you get well and back on tour, please make nevermore play these songs live!
METAL
:lol: :lol: :lol: You tell them! We did do BitterSweet Feast on the Opeth tour for a bit, and anytime Jeff and I tried to get the others to do Psalm or A Future Uncertain, someone would always find a reason as to why we weren't going to do them right now, but "later".:rolleyes: :lol: