BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

in fact Rose it seems you need help from me the METAL DOCTOR!!!!! yeah!!

WRRRRRRRRRWIRNRWERRRRRRRRAWRWNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok heres some metal bands to start off with

Blind Guardian

Iron Maiden

Stratovarius

Sonata Arctica

King Diamond

Iced Earth

Megadeth

Children of Bodom

Edguy

Angra

Rhapsody

Hammerfall

and there are plenty of others

so go out there and BANG YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

p.s. and just because somethings doesnt have time changes doesnt mean its not good. all that matters with these bands is that they wanna rock :headbang:
and all these bands have good guitarists.

Pagans Mind is probably one of the least intersting bands here in my opinion (the kind of metal retired people would listen to). What do you guys think Norway is? A real dangerous black metal mafia who shoots everyone without corpsepaint? Also interesting to know that the whole "true"-thing is taken more seriously by foreigners than norwegians.

Black metal originally is Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost etc. Considering we're on the Symphony X board, I'd recommend the Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War, or Emperor - Prometheus.

And yeah, that growl karaoke thing is death metal, and no, Mayhem isn't "tr00 n0rw3g1aN bL4cK m3t4L". :D

Torstein said:
Pagans Mind is probably one of the least intersting bands here in my opinion (the kind of metal retired people would listen to). What do you guys think Norway is? A real dangerous black metal mafia who shoots everyone without corpsepaint? Also interesting to know that the whole "true"-thing is taken more seriously by foreigners than norwegians.

Black metal originally is Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost etc. Considering we're on the Symphony X board, I'd recommend the Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War, or Emperor - Prometheus.

You hit the nail right on the head here. People really do blow the whole BM thing way out of proportion.

and Rose, if you really want a good list of metal bands to check out, heres some. I've gotten the impression that you don't really like very heavy stuff so I'll keep this to more melodic bands:

essentials:

Iron Maiden - basically anything from # of the Beast through Powerslave

Judas Priest - Painkiller. I'll repeat this again. PAINKILLER. This album is the pinnacle of metal albums IMO so its incredibly essential. Also good are Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance.

Rainbow - Long Live Rock n Roll. Dio + Blackmore = nuff said. Kill the King might very well be the first seeds of powermetal.

Dio - Holy Diver. Well, its Dio.

Helloween - Walls of Jericho. The birth of powermetal, and still one of the greatest powermetal albums of all time. Also check Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 2. This album is the template from which a millon Stratovarius', Sonata Arcticas, Angras, and Edguy's were born from. Helloween still do it way better than any of em too (except for Edguy).

Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space. Kai Hansen's band after he left Helloween. Kai is the father of powermetal (not to mention The Man) so Gamma Ray is awesome by default.

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Marching Out. Yngwie's first, and still best, all vocal album. Jeff Scott Soto's a great singer. If you like instrumental stuff, I'd also reccomend his first album which is just called Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force.

OK well thats a good list of metal bands I think are essential for you to know. Once you've heard those guys and realize they've all been sounding the way they do since the early 80's you'll realize how much they've impacted bands today.

I do know a bit of Blind Guardian, although I can't say I like everything they've done.

I tried a bit of Rhapsody...and maybe I sampled the wrong album, because I thought it sounded like SymX, but nowhere near as good or interesting.

As for Iron Maiden...the only song I've heard that I can identify for sure is "Remember Tomorrow"...and I prefer the Opeth cover. ;)

Yngvai X--it's good to know that most of the extremism has stopped.

Rose Immortal said:
I tried a bit of Rhapsody...and maybe I sampled the wrong album, because I thought it sounded like SymX, but nowhere near as good or interesting.

Its ok, there is no right Rhapsody album, they all suck.

And Rose, do be sure to check out more classic metal, lest you be left out in the cold amungst conversations with other metal heads. Not being familiar with classic Maiden is a sin for a metalhead ;)

Yngvai X said:
Its ok, there is no right Rhapsody album, they all suck.

;)

I like the whole fantasy atmosphere of Rhapsody so...i like em.

you should also check out Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian.

remember, blind guardian has 2 periods

the thrashy metallica like period and the more symphonic progressive period

and seeing Rose that you like lyrics that apply to real life you would probably like sonata arctica

oh yeah listen to dragonforce too

dragonforce is so gold :D

Iron Maiden essentials: all of them. but at the very least: Rock In Rio. that'll give you an idea as to which CD you like best. then start there

Silent Song said:
dragonforce is so gold :D

Iron Maiden essentials: all of them. but at the very least: Rock In Rio. that'll give you an idea as to which CD you like best. then start there

Yea but at the same time if you DON'T like Number of the Beast chances are you won't like Maiden whatsoever.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
you should also check out Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian.

remember, blind guardian has 2 periods

the thrashy metallica like period and the more symphonic progressive period

I've already got Nightfall. :)

I also have the live album, and Somewhere Far Beyond. Needless to say Nightfall is still the runaway favorite. :cool:

Now, what I've heard from A Night at the Opera...ewww...I think Hansi had a BAD day when he wrote those lyrics (assuming he's the culprit). Not necessarily a bad-English day, mind you, but a bad TEMPER day. It's offputting, to say the least.

and seeing Rose that you like lyrics that apply to real life you would probably like sonata arctica

Real...but not TOO too real, if that makes sense. When someone gets "real" enough that they feel a need to attack or belittle people, I tune out.

Sonata Arctica sings great songs. I'd recommend starting with "Winterhearts Guild" for someone just getting into metal.

then their latest "Reckoning Night" and "Ecliptica" and then if you still want more- everything else!

Rose Immortal said:
Now, what I've heard from A Night at the Opera...ewww...I think Hansi had a BAD day when he wrote those lyrics (assuming he's the culprit). Not necessarily a bad-English day, mind you, but a bad TEMPER day. It's offputting, to say the least.

I don't really follow you here...I think some of his best lyric writing was on that album, especially And Then There Was Silence...my friend actually analyzed the lyrics to that and its crazy how many Greek plays and epics he pulled inspiration from.

And Harvest of Sorrow is simply a gorgeous song, their best ballad since The Bard's Song.

Rose: In my opinion the best Maiden stuff is from Killers up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Just take your pick from any of the albums that fall in that area, you can't go wrong :).

I like Bathory.

weenur said:
"Irving! Where are my maxi-pads? Help me find them before I paint the whole house red! You men having sooooo easy!" ROFL! That's a great one, too.

You missed the best line-- I'M PASSING CLOTS THE SIZE OF BASKETBALLS!!! It never, ever fails to crack me up.

Okay I'm going to shut up to save the entire board from myself.

Yngvai X said:
And Harvest of Sorrow is simply a gorgeous song, their best ballad since The Bard's Song.

Harvest of Sorrow was actually the one exception to the rule...I liked that one. It was some of the other stuff from Night at the Opera, that was on the live album, that seemed really bitter...that is, more so than normal.

Rose Immortal said:
Harvest of Sorrow was actually the one exception to the rule...I liked that one. It was some of the other stuff from Night at the Opera, that was on the live album, that seemed really bitter...that is, more so than normal.

Well Soulforged is based on the Dragonlance novels and Under the Ice is based on a greek play (can't remember which).