BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yes, such a genre exists but I can't think of any bands. I'm too lazy to dig up my old post about Stryper so I'll just post a new pic of them:

stryper.jpg

To hell with the devil!

Rose Immortal said:
I dunno what's funnier...the clothes or the hair.

I think the funniest part is that a crappy band like that was one of the first bands to spark the "Christian Gimick" which is most likely bullshit considering alot of those acts make like a crap load of money. The reason I say that before it gets up in arms is because if you are gonna write lyrics about religion and how it helps you your'e not gonna wirte crap like "Jesus is a cool guy, the devil is a bad guy" that is an actual lyric by the way. I have cousins who listne to that crap

Most overtly Christian music...the stuff in the "genre"...I have to admit I can't stand. If a band can say something spiritual/religious that is skillfully said and very heartfelt, though, they command my respect. One example is a song called "Breakthrough" by Richard Wright, lyrics by Anthony Moore. Nothing's ever explicitly mentioned, but once you sift through it and especially after you catch a very, VERY deeply buried allusion, you realize that it actually IS of a Christian nature. And I think that's a much cooler approach, that subtle route.

Rose Immortal said:
Most overtly Christian music...the stuff in the "genre"...I have to admit I can't stand. If a band can say something spiritual/religious that is skillfully said and very heartfelt, though, they command my respect. One example is a song called "Breakthrough" by Richard Wright, lyrics by Anthony Moore. Nothing's ever explicitly mentioned, but once you sift through it and especially after you catch a very, VERY deeply buried allusion, you realize that it actually IS of a Christian nature. And I think that's a much cooler approach, that subtle route.

I feel the same way. Especially for satanic stuff

Rose Immortal said:
i agree, but i do like some of the Christian Rock/Metal groups. what bothers me is when people (whom i know do this) listen exclusively to music produced by those who proclaim themselves christian bands. they're just limiting themselves from a whole world of music out there that may still contain positive images or messages without the stamp of approval.

as for israeli metal, need i say more than: "Orphaned Land :worship:"

Silent Song said:
i agree, but i do like some of the Christian Rock/Metal groups. what bothers me is when people (whom i know do this) listen exclusively to music produced by those who proclaim themselves christian bands. they're just limiting themselves from a whole world of music out there that may still contain positive images or messages without the stamp of approval.

I've never really understood that either, unless perhaps it's fear. I don't mean this in a mocking way, though...but I think perhaps they fear they'll be vulnerable somehow. Perhaps some people DO have trouble stepping outside that particular box, and if so, that's not my place to condemn. I only say that I don't understand...and I certainly wouldn't choose it for myself.

I guess the closest I've ever come to Christian rock/metal is Killswitch Engage. No, seriously...they're not technically classed as such, but it's pretty obvious as soon as you read a lyric or two of theirs.

I think Symphony X can be upbeat and affirming of what's good, and disapproving of what's wrong. I just couldn't turn them down just because of a few words they didn't say! ;)

:headbang:

I know their new album will be darker, but...I can't imagine them attacking people for what they believe or doing any of that kind of stuff. I'm almost kinda thinking of Opeth in terms of what I'm hoping for. Tragic, but not like black metal or anything.

Rose Immortal said:
I know their new album will be darker, but...I can't imagine them attacking people for what they believe or doing any of that kind of stuff. I'm almost kinda thinking of Opeth in terms of what I'm hoping for. Tragic, but not like black metal or anything.

Wow...what if the new album is black metal! What if they have a 20 minute epic called "The Raping Of Christian Faith"! What if Romeo Put on corpse paint :err: I might have to go into photoshop :D