BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There were a couple songs that left me a bit confused...what was up with "Punishment Divine"? That one just seemed a bit out of character...

Rose Immortal said:
There were a couple songs that left me a bit confused...what was up with "Punishment Divine"? That one just seemed a bit out of character...

Thats about Fredrick Nitche (a very famous German philosopher). He was very much an athiest and the idea of the song is that as he's dying he sees angels and basically realizes he's been wrong his whole life. Its one of my favorite Blind Guardian songs (both musically and lyrically).

See, Blind Guardian write about much more than dragons :p

Yngvai X said:
Thats about Fredrick Nitche (a very famous German philosopher). He was very much an athiest and the idea of the song is that as he's dying he sees angels and basically realizes he's been wrong his whole life. Its one of my favorite Blind Guardian songs (both musically and lyrically).

See, Blind Guardian write about much more than dragons :p

This may be stupid to ask...but where did you hear that? I know who Nietzche was, but was that a real incident with the angels? Or Hansi's idea? Now I'm curious to read up! ;)

Beelzebub said:
You missed the best line-- I'M PASSING CLOTS THE SIZE OF BASKETBALLS!!! It never, ever fails to crack me up.

Okay I'm going to shut up to save the entire board from myself.
I did... I did... on purpose. ;)

It was a nice diversion into some nostalgia for me. I haven't listened to SOD in years.

Rose Immortal said:
This may be stupid to ask...but where did you hear that? I know who Nietzche was, but was that a real incident with the angels? Or Hansi's idea? Now I'm curious to read up! ;)

Its made up. I read Hansi talk about it in an interview. Its basically the idea of someone whos held onto a certain belief their entire life only to find out at the moment of their death that they've been wrong. Hence "punishment divine"

weenur said:
It's amazing how little changes in 20(gulp!) years. Jeezus... I was in high school when that came out... :cry:

yeah its crazy.....................have you seen the lyrics for impaled nazarene?

funny stuff also, especialy the song zero tolerance....

Yngvai X said:
Its made up. I read Hansi talk about it in an interview. Its basically the idea of someone whos held onto a certain belief their entire life only to find out at the moment of their death that they've been wrong. Hence "punishment divine"

The reason I asked was because I happened to read at a totally unrelated site that Nietsche was supposed to have had a very unpleasant death. The same for Voltaire who believed similarly. I dunno if this is true or not, but that's why I had to ask if it was real.

But anyway, it was kind of hard to actually tell that's what it was from the lyrics. I mean, I could tell there was a lot of fear in the narrator, but I couldn't tell if it was just nasty anti-religious sarcasm or if there was more. There were a lot of layers evident in the lyrics, but without that background information, it's hard to get it figured out. I asked a friend to try to analyze it (who knows even less BG) and he got thrown for a loop, too.

Please don't take this as insult...this is just from not knowing much about the band. Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

Rose Immortal said:
The reason I asked was because I happened to read at a totally unrelated site that Nietsche was supposed to have had a very unpleasant death. The same for Voltaire who believed similarly. I dunno if this is true or not, but that's why I had to ask if it was real.

But anyway, it was kind of hard to actually tell that's what it was from the lyrics. I mean, I could tell there was a lot of fear in the narrator, but I couldn't tell if it was just nasty anti-religious sarcasm or if there was more. There were a lot of layers evident in the lyrics, but without that background information, it's hard to get it figured out. I asked a friend to try to analyze it (who knows even less BG) and he got thrown for a loop, too.

Please don't take this as insult...this is just from not knowing much about the band. Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

well, since I know you're interested in religion, I know that Hansi has said he is christian, but a "questioning" one if that makes sense...I know he certainly doesn't like what went down with the crusades, which is evident from the numerous songs he's written about them (Script for my Requiem, Another Holy war, Poor Man's Crusade (on the Demons & Wizards album), Battlefield, etc)

Yngvai X said:
well, since I know you're interested in religion, I know that Hansi has said he is christian, but a "questioning" one if that makes sense...I know he certainly doesn't like what went down with the crusades, which is evident from the numerous songs he's written about them (Script for my Requiem, Another Holy war, Poor Man's Crusade (on the Demons & Wizards album), Battlefield, etc)

That actually sounds a whole lot like me. I am Christian but by no means a conservative. There are things I disapprove of in church history and sometimes in current policy too (although I give credit, headway is being made). And I don't approve of abuses committed in God's name. It puts me in a position where I could be flamed by the extreme left and extreme right at the same time for the very same statement. ;)

I don't think faith should be blind faith--I've heard it said to "know in what you believe"...and I think that can and should include asking questions and seeking answers. But rather than leave, I would much rather stay and try to FIX things so that stuff like that hopefully doesn't happen again.

Very interesting info, and thanks. :)