black metal that sounds like a forest

damnromulans

Klingons do not faint
Feb 2, 2010
KLINGON
Doesn't matter if it's a winter, autumn, springtime or summer forest. I'm sick of albums with promising forest-related cover art and having it not sound like a goddamn forest (note: obviously does not require a forest on the album art). Must sound organic and not be atmospheric to the point of feeling abstract or like background music.

In this particularly cry for help, keyboards/strings-saturated is a plus. Think old Dimmu Borgir ("For All Tid" + "Stormblast"), Vordven, "Det Som Engang Var," Summoning to some extent, old Ulver, Gris, older Dornenreich, etc.

Ekpyrosis - Mensch aus Gold
Negura Bunget - Om
Lux Divina - From the Tomb to the Nature's Blood
Melkor - Ferne
Njiqahdda - Yrg Alms
Skagos - Ast
Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
Woods of Ypres - Against the Seasons

All posts above mine are full of good recs.

I was trying to remember Lux Divina earlier today but could not think of their name to save my life. So thanks for posting that!

Om is a great record, but 'n Crugu Bradului better conjures the forest atmosphere for me, actually; though this might be because the titles translates into "Through the Depths of the Fir Tree Heights."

There's nothing quite like a Spaniard singing Norwegian and English with a Norwegian accent.

I dunno, Om is definitely the album that defines the fog that sets over the forests of Transylvania for me. 'n Crugu Bradului sounds a little more... I dunno, mountainous? Prehistoric?

Kerbenok - O. Should you enjoy Negură Bunget, you shall most certainly enjoy Kerbenok. The influence from Negură upon Kerbenok's music is unmistakable.

Wyrd - Huldrafolk. Should you enjoy Drudkh, Huldrafolk will be enjoyable.

ulver_nattens.jpg

Drudkh are a little snoozetastic but I only have "Autumn Aurora." It's about that time, where I really should actually find/listen to the recs on this thread.

So far the most successfully "forest" album I've heard is "Virstele..." by Negura Bunget.