Modern Symphonic Black Metal with good production?

Krow

Garbage Connoisseur
Mar 4, 2008
Roadkill, WV
I try and try to listen to black metal but I have a tough time finding things I can enjoy... and minimalist production is just a wall I cant climb. I'm not much for the "old school" sound either...

A few I've found I really like are
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast
Ceremonial Castings - Barbaric is the Beast

I also like good ol screaming and/or death growls thrown in with black metal vocals, if possible.

Any recommendations?
I know what I'm asking for is probably a bit much and overly specific. (and yes, I checked the black metal directory and though it helped, it isnt exactly what I wanted)

me too, i only like symphonic and/or melodic BM with good production and vocals more like roaring than screeching.. looking to expand my small collection as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk if it counts as modern cuz I think these albums were late 90s and its pretty damn essential so you must have it anyway but

Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia, then get Moon in the Scorpio

Not into the genre as a whole that much so yea that's all I got :(

Limbonic Art - Ad Noctum Dynasty of Death
Anorexia Nervosa - Drudenhaus
Bishop of Hexen - The Nightmarish Compositions
Capitollium - Bloodfall of Flesh
Covenant - Nexus Polaris
Kataxu - Hunger of Elements
Nazgul - De Expugnatione Elfmuth
Obsidian Gate - Colossal Christhunt
Vesania - God the Lux

I fail to see how Dawn and Watain could possibly be considered symphonic.

To the OP, do yourself a favour and listen to Obtained Enslavement's Witchcraft. Not modern, but really one of the only black metal bands truly deserving of the term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I strongly second Witchcraft. Building on what Malignparadigm said, it's actually one of the few "symphonic" black metal albums which are symphonic in composition technique, rather than just being average melodic BM with an overpowering keyboard.

Also Krow, this isn't what you were asking for, but if you want quality BM which is well produced, with some deeper death style vocals, and with a more muscular, rhythmic feel (which should appeal to DM fans) check out Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon.

Slowly checking out some of these bands...

Really liked Bishop of Hexen - The Nightmarish Compositions.