Black metal

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
Katatonia comes from the black metal scene but has evolved a lot. A lot of nowadays trendy suicidal black metal bands praise the older Katatonia records as one of the first bringing slow melancholic black metal.

Anyway, are there posters here into black metal? I listen a lot to bands as Taake, Satyricon, old Ulver, old Fleurety, Enslaved, Shining, Arcturus,...

the_dying said:
Katatonia comes from the black metal scene but has evolved a lot. A lot of nowadays trendy suicidal black metal bands praise the older Katatonia records as one of the first bringing slow melancholic black metal.

Anyway, are there posters here into black metal? I listen a lot to bands as Taake, Satyricon, old Ulver, old Fleurety, Enslaved, Shining, Arcturus,...
Black metal? Since when has Katatonia ever been black metal?:tickled::tickled::tickled: Hahaha

I still listen sometimes to black metal, maybe more folk-viking than black...but I like Emperor, some Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, Ulver, Satyricon, Mayhem, etc...

I don't know but I find it uplifting, especially when I 'm driving in the early morning to go to work..The fact is that I have to drive on a road close to the lake and mountains where I live, which reminds a lot of a Norwegian fjord...so I'm in the perfect mood for some atmospheric black metal...considering also thatit is dawn and than I don't begin my day with a smile on my face...so black metal in the early morning is the best way to start my working day, ha ha

Lol, that's true. At the winter I like listening to Transylvanian Hunger, Diabolical Fullmoon mysticism, Hvis Lyset tar Oss or even Dance of December Souls. Some (black) metal records just have to be played when it's ice cold.

I love Enslaved!! They're still considered black metal, right? I heard them being considered Viking Metal before but I've been listening to their new album ISA a lot recently and it sounds black metal to me. At least the vocals, anyways. It's such a killer album.

My favorite black metal bands are Cradle of Filth, Immortal (R.I.P.), Marduk, Dark Funeral, and Satyricon. I don't care too much for Dimmu Borgir though. I think their songs are too complex and really hard to get into, and sometimes sounds just like a big wall of noise to me.

But maybe I'm just a big fag.

-Vince

Most black metal now is just the same 'raw' crap, bands that tend to copy the same darkthrone formula blah...The 'new sound' black metal is getting really tiring too, the whole moonfog roster sounds about the same. Whenever I listen to Black metal nowadays it's usually Taake, older Emperor, Satyricon, Drudkh (great band btw!), older dimmu, old Ulver, Enslaved.

I listen to some bm.
Satyricon i probably my favourite bm ever, but also more melodic bands like arcturus..
I realy like the new Primordial, the gathering widerness, although it is probably more viking today (like bathory.. bm yesterday, viking today.. youngsters renaming my genres... :p )

I dont think that the first albums of katatonia were black metal man.
I think that were death/doom metal at the begining and then just doom

There are an amazing number of great black metal bands out at the moment, some have been previously mentioned.

Taake, Xasthur, Drudkh, Hate Forest (are the best new bands in my opinion), while Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Carpathian Forest, Thorns are bands still creating cutting edge music.

www.blackmetal.co.uk

I'm a moderator there. We have over 6,000 members and a nice looking forum. Check it out.

I'm very much into Taake, Xasthur, Nortt, Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh, Hate Forest, Darkthrone, Burzum etc... :cool:

Excuse me people but this guy here is right, Katatonia have never been black metal. It's not because they painted themselves that they were a black metal band :rolleyes: Kiss ain't black metal either are they

Brave Child said:
I dont think that the first albums of katatonia were black metal man.
I think that were death/doom metal at the begining and then just doom

Katatonia has never been blackmetal.......they have never affiliated themselves with the title of blackmetal.....nor have they EVER sounded blackmetal.....facepaint aside it would be wrong to categorize them in the genre of blackmetal......when you think of the oldschool BM bands does Katatonia really fit in there.....NO they dont.......

also any of you who think that blackmetal is going nowhere should check out Blut Aus Nord.....they are doing stuff that i have never heard from the blackmetal scene.....but I have to agree that blackmetal has become very formulaic and unexciting to me for the most part......not that I dont listen to tons of older BM.....

Yet another black metal thread, and yet another instance where no one has mentioned the godlike WEAKLING. Seriously, Dead As Dreams is easily better than most black metal out there now. Such an amazing record -- too bad they didn't make more. Everyone check it out!

And, Xasthur's awesome. I really like Deathspell Omega, too.