Black metal

Cerulean said:
You have a wrong idea of black metal.
Cradle of Filth have been somewhat black metallish on the first albums, or at least heavily influenced.
Your comment on Immortal is almost ridiculous, almost everything (if not just everything) released by them was black metal, yes. Maybe not the most conventional black metal, but still black metal for sure.
And you know my thoughts on the first Katatonia EP.
Nah, you're wrong, but that's alright, not a lot of people realize what black metal actually is.

EDIT: "Heavily influenced" doesn't mean shit. Immortal was "heavily influenced" by black metal, Enslaved was too, my band Nasheim is; doesn't make any of these bands black metal.

Nasheim is not bad...

bur what you categorize as black metal is your own vision of it. you can ask every member of every related band and you'll get dozens of definitions. one could say eveything hat sounds different than Darkthrone is no more black metal, but thats bullshit...i myself consider Immortal as black metal, aswell as i see JEM as black metal too.

Lyrical themes only apply to genres if you want to divide black metal into further sub-genres. In practice, that means:

Nasheim - Black Pagan (I think...? I haven't read your lyrics, Erik...)
Immortal - Black Hoocaust (their own words)
Enslaved - Black Viking

But if a band only has satanic lyrics, it's just "black", because satanic black metal is the purest embodiment of it. But that NOT mean that everything else should be excluded from the black metal genre completely. Black Metal is a "musical" genre, after all.

Oh, and Cradle of Filth has always been gothic metal, although their first release had half a toe in the black metal camp. They never possessed the spirit of black metal, though, and that became quickly apparent. And the first Katatonia EP was definately black metal, and their next few releases showed tendencies.

like I said earlier......I dare anyone to even try to find any interviews where jonas or Anders ay anything about them ever being blackmetal.......you will not find it.....I think that kind of closes this issue......I think that one of the most important things is whether the band considers themselves blackmetal.....because if they dont think they play blackmetal..... then they probably dont.......anyone who has anything else to sy about this needs to have some sort of CREDIBLE source before they go on saying this and that about what there opinion is.....because its coming down to opinions meaning SHIT.......so find somewhere Jonas or Anders says it and I will then agree.....you wont find it....but please spend lots of time looking for it instead of spewing dumb shit about whether or not You Think Katatonia has ever been blackmetal.........now go I say......go and look.....look for many hours......many many many hours.....

Erik said:
I know VERY WELL what black metal is. Cradle of Filth is not, and never was black metal. Immortal was only black metal on the first LP. Katatonia's first EP was black metal. None of their other output was. You can attempt to argue this fact, but it will only make you look stupid. Cheers

I dont want to continue talk with you on this way. What do you think about the first album of Katatonia it's your problem.I think you are wrong but anyway! I'm not the matster of black metal but i wrote before "old Cradle of Filth is true black metal" and i think that it's true that. Btw becareful with the words that you use about me ! I never said anything about you !

To suggest that Immortal's 'Battles in the North' and 'Pure Holocaust' is not black metal is absurd. Regardless of what they may or may not have said, it's black metal to the core despite 'black holocaust' or whatever they may or may not have called themselves.

If a duck calls itself a swan, it's still a fucking duck as far as I'm concerned.

in the 80s when bands began to play "black metal" it was due to the lyrics that it got that name, later it was more the music, because it was/is different from any other kind of metal and has certain trademarks. you can see it this way and that, imo satanic lyrics (no matter if the band really means it or not) prove the fact that it's black metal, like in the case of katatonia's early works. it's of no importance to me whether it is black metal or not, the music is important and songs like "scarlet heavens" could even give the impression to be white metal (lyric-wise) so who gives a fuck? the music is timeless and if you're open-minded and have a certain amount of common sense you don't believe in stuff like "satan" or "god" anyway which was created by the catholic church to frighten people and make them follow their rules. that's an undeniable fact, you'll see when you're dead and neither in heaven nor hell! :Smug:

I've had enough of this :wave:

Katatonia: Doom metal
Immortal: Black metal
Cradle of Filth: ........Fantasy metal??? with black metal influences
And I'm gonna stop discussing this cos it's useless. And everything Deliverance6 says is right.

in the 80s when bands began to play "black metal" it was due to the lyrics that it got that name

in the beginnig, Demon was called blckmetal (they play something more similar to hard-rock, def lepard style) due to their dark and rather satanistic lyrics.