"Black Sabbath" Reunion Album 13 To Be Released In June!

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
From BWBK:

BLACK SABBATH have announced the title of their new album, 13, which will be released this June (exact date TBA). Original members OZZY OSBOURNE (vocals), TONY IOMMI (guitar) and GEEZER BUTLER (bass) - have recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles and were joined at the sessions by drummer Brad Wilk (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE). Produced by Rick Rubin (seven-time Grammy winner, two of those as Producer Of The Year), the album will be released on Vertigo (worldwide) and Vertigo/Republic in the US. 13 marks the Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductees’ return to Vertigo, the band’s original label; it’s the group’s first studio album together since 1978’s Never Say Die! They have sold over 70 million albums together.

Without Bill Ward [or Vinnie Appice], this just feels hollow. Rubin producing does not sit well with me either. Especially if Greg Fidelman is mixing again... :mad:

Rubin and no Ward. Pretty ominous bad omen to start with.

Rubin and no Ward. Pretty ominous bad omen to start with.

I'd have to agree with this. Prepare for another victim of the loudness wars.

What dumb ass Lars Ulrich had to say about the mastering of Death Magnetic:

Ulrich responded to the complaints by saying, “Listen, there’s nothing up with the audio quality. It’s 2008, and that’s how we make records. Rick Rubin‘s whole thing is to try and get it to sound lively, to get it to sound loud, to get it to sound exciting, to get it to jump out of the speakers. Of course, I’ve heard that there are a few people complaining. But I’ve been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds fuckin’ smokin’.

I reckon it's got more to do with the actual year than the album #. Still, it's a silly title for sure.

And I too am worried about Rubin's involvement, his early production was quite good but nowadays, not so much... Still, it could be worse. It could be Andy Sneap. :p

And I too am worried about Rubin's involvement, his early production was quite good but nowadays, not so much... Still, it could be worse. It could be Andy Sneap. :p

Poundingmetal is going to drop the bomb on you :tickled:, he loves Sneap.

I would have like somebody more classic (same for the drummer, tons of good drummers for session out there and not the monkey from RATM), like Chris Tsangarides, Jeff Glixman, Kit Woolven.

Conspiracy theory that "13" is an attempt to discredit the Tony Martin era:

19 studio albums (including the new one)
- Seventh Star (which Iommi wanted to release as a solo album, not a Sabbath album)
- the 5 Martin-era albums (which have fallen out of print)

= 13 :D

Conspiracy theory that "13" is an attempt to discredit the Tony Martin era:

19 studio albums (including the new one)
- Seventh Star (which Iommi wanted to release as a solo album, not a Sabbath album)
- the 5 Martin-era albums (which have fallen out of print)

= 13 :D

More than conspiracy sounds like Sharon talons ripping the pages of Sabbath history. It won't surprise me it is truly this meaning. :bah:

Rubin's early albums sounded really good (Blood Sugar Sex Magic from RHCP is a great sounding album). Sadly from the mid-2000s on, his albums have sounded shitty and have been mastered like dogshit.

Consider the Sneap bomb dropped. You must be insane to say that. Megadeth's 13, Fozzy's first 2 albums and especially Accept's Blood of the Nations are simply great sounding metal albums. And if Sneap sucks in your eyes, I am really curious to hear who you consider a good engineer.

Rubin's early albums sounded really good (Blood Sugar Sex Magic from RHCP is a great sounding album). Sadly from the mid-2000s on, his albums have sounded shitty and have been mastered like dogshit.

Consider the Sneap bomb dropped. You must be insane to say that. Megadeth's 13, Fozzy's first 2 albums and especially Accept's Blood of the Nations are simply great sounding metal albums. And if Sneap sucks in your eyes, I am really curious to hear who you consider a good engineer.
Oh yes, BSSM is one of my favorite albums.

I wasn't being entirely serious about Sneap. ;) He really isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of his very clean sound, but that can be applied to a lot of producers nowadays. I also think Sneap tends to be a bit too "overpowering" with his production. You can always hear when Sneap produced something, which is fine, but I feel like a lot of the band's usual sound is lost. That said, I do like his work on Megadeth's 13.

I honestly couldn't name ya a current engineer I'd consider good/better in the same "category", since most recent albums I like are either extreme metal, or aiming intentionally for that old-school sound.
But yeah, I meant no offense, just being silly. :)

I just hope to fuck that Rubin doesn't butcher Tony's guitar sound. Despite Bill's absence, I don't think it's gonna be a bad album so long as Tony and Geezer are there.

Sneap...really isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of his very clean sound... I also think Sneap tends to be a bit too "overpowering" with his production. You can always hear when Sneap produced something, which is fine, but I feel like a lot of the band's usual sound is lost. That said, I do like his work on Megadeth's 13

Same here. I'm just not a fan of most of Sneap's work. His production killed Opeth's "Deliverance"....that band lost its "warmth" on that record. Just not a good fit there whatsoever. However, I do like Sneap's 'sound' when applied to thrash, which results in a full-bodied, thick brick wall of power. But that sound is now ubiquitous....too familiar and predictable.

His production killed Opeth's "Deliverance"....that band lost its "warmth" on that record.

Yeah, but that was a case of the production style not fitting the band. It happens. Listen to the awful job Kelly Grey did with Nevermore's 2003 album and how Sneap totally salvaged that record.

Also Sneap's got a great old-school-but-heavy vibe going on Fozzy's Happenstance disc for example. Not everything he does is hyper-compressed ultra heavy music.

His overall production style works great for bands like Nevermore or Accept where they just want a crushing sound. Sneap's style wouldn't work for a band like, say, Rush or Opeth.

To put this another way, Accept's song Teutonic Terror would have been incredibly mediocre in the hands of a lot of other producers. You give it to Sneap and it's just one of the most savage metal songs on the planet.

I'm mixed on this one. I like that Geezer is doing the lyrics again. That's a good sign. The bad sign is these guys haven't written stuff together for decades and they picked the wrong drummer.