Blackheim's Epiphone

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
A few years ago Katatonia toured Europe with Opeth. I saw them in Holland and Blackheim was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic. A very nice guitar, but it's a rather crappy one, the standard Epiphone pick ups are worthless. Does anyone know if he used other pick ups?

the_dying said:
A few years ago Katatonia toured Europe with Opeth. I saw them in Holland and Blackheim was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic. A very nice guitar, but it's a rather crappy one, the standard Epiphone pick ups are worthless. Does anyone know if he used other pick ups?
let me answer this for ya...
i've retired my epiphone les paul cuz it just gave me trouble. the original mics were crap and no i never bothered swapping em out 'cuz the epiphone was only intended to be a last way out backup guitar. it's now retired from stage use and i've stripped it down to a roland mic midi guitar. hey, if u mean a gothic model u must have been thinking about fred... he's still using his les paul gothic, but thats a real gibson and still top of the line.

wow....talking about les pauls makes me feel very very hungry!!! hahahaha...by the way, i really love playing an Epiphone Les Paul, i mean, there´s nothign to compare with the original Gibson, but, with that price, is so good...and if you´re not able tuy buy a Gibson, it is a good solution...

anyway, my favorite today, is the Schecter C-1 Diamond Series...i know that anders has one too ( c-1???i don´t remember...) and it a very very beautiful, soundly talking(and it is gorgeous too :D), guitar...it gives you that kind of les paul sound (maybe te resonance) mixed with a little bit more strong vibration...

well, that´s my opinion...meanwhile...i´m still dreaming with the Gibson Les Paul Gothic :/

cheers!!

ps: hey anders. i´m the guy who sent you the e-mail from chile!!!!...we´ll be in contact soon about the t-shirts!!!

ps2: if you have the time, visit

www.noctus.cl

www.mournerslament.songsfrom.us

have fun!

i use a epiphone gothic but with a gibson 498 mic in it...
it sounds quite sweet.

although my volume nob is glitching :/

i would so much like to see a colour pic of the new sig. crome framus guitar....
if it looks the way it seems to look on the b&w pic, it is by far the best looking guitar so far...

i have epiphone les paul classic myself and it pretty much looks like anders' :shy:
i have it cause i don't have money to afford gibson
simple as that
and it's pretty good to me
<--- here it is on the pic on the left

I have an epiphone as well, but before buying a beautiful and expensive guitar I want to become a good guitarist...and when I become a talented guitarist I'll be also so rich that I can afford to buy a wonderful customized guitar!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem this will happen in the near future....(I mean both getting rich and being a good guitarist) but meanwhile let's go on practising and saving money...

Blakkheim said:
let me answer this for ya...
i've retired my epiphone les paul cuz it just gave me trouble. the original mics were crap and no i never bothered swapping em out 'cuz the epiphone was only intended to be a last way out backup guitar. it's now retired from stage use and i've stripped it down to a roland mic midi guitar. hey, if u mean a gothic model u must have been thinking about fred... he's still using his les paul gothic, but thats a real gibson and still top of the line.

It sounded alright on the krakow dvd tho!

(yeah old thread, blabla)

Ehmm, I&#180;m just have GAS for this guitar, I love the colour of it! And it&#180;s not like other les pauls, it&#180;s much flatter and no pickguard or ugly chrome stuff...

And the main thing, it&#180;s so fucking cheap!!
I need a 6 string to play around with (i&#180;m tired of the floating trem on my ibanez rg1077xl)

And if it as god enough for blakkheim to use during a dvd live recording, HUMMM i think it will do for me 2! :)

Anyway, i don&#180;t really know if anyone really cares but yeah.... comments about the epiphone speciall II (whine red) are warmly welcome

:kickass:

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Goth too =) and i am saving money for my Gibson Les Paul, so after i buy that, i am gonna use my epiphone for different tuning.

yeyeye, it´s no gibson les paul, but i don´t care about that... in fact i don´t even like gibson les pauls, to damn heavy, to damn fat, and i don´t like the rounden "top"..

Yeah well he said the pickups were crap, and crappy pickups = shitty sound, as far as i know. BUT I tell you watch (listen) to the krakow dvd (anders guitar is panned to the left). I think it sounds totally ok for 1750sek (i dunno american price but i guess you guys get it even cheaper)..

And since he "dared" to use it in a live set(recorded even!) i guess it should stay in tune pretty good?

Anyway that said, you could always change the pickups...

I really like the way it looks :loco:
The colour.... o_O
So what makes it so damn crappy?

all epiphone guitars i&#180;ve seen seems to have great finish...
My friend has a sg, not a single paint chip...

ibanez tho :/ yikes

Hardware... well ya i guess, but it&#180;s not a complicated setup(not like like floyd rose) sooo, that&#180;s maybe not such a big issue? Maybe the tuning "pegs"(i donno the name) could need replacement some day.

wood....yeah its a 200$ guitar.

I have an Epihone SG Goth,I do think it doesnt sound very nice too,but I always blamed the caps(you guys call them mics right?),I mean,the woods and the finishing are amazing, do you think that if I exchange the caps it will sound ok? I was thinking to go Dimmarzio Paf Pro,what do you you guys think? I want my guitar to be able to play clean without noise and still be able to show its heavier side,a guitar worth playing anathema,katatonia and so on

please help me with this decision,Ill be waiting for an answer