Blackheim's Epiphone

I use my gibson les paul as my main axe since the first day I have it.
it sounds and plays flawlessly, for me at least.
I will buy more guitars laterly but Les Paul will still be my main guitar, I have tried so many but gibson les paul have something that other guitars will never have :) it's so organic and musical :headbang:

I tried couples of epiphone myself, it still have the characteristic of original gibson les paul but just everything like not as good as the original, if you don't have the budget to get the real gibson, Epiphone still a great deal IMHO :)

Cerulean said:
Don't put passive "caps" (pick ups) in them.
I had an EMG 85 in it, and it was better, but still crappy.
Part of it is because it was tuned in B. Epiphones don't work in B

really>? do u meant not to use passive pickups on les paul ?
I have opposite idea from yours :) I don't like active pickups on lespaul :)
I just feel weird about the active guitar sound came from a les paul lol

I do agree with Bereavement on the pickup thing,even tough I havent tried yet,people have been saying to me that the active pickups sounds weird on epis

The standard humbuckers for the epiphone goth series are also noisy enough,it is very hard to reproduce a softer sound with chords like the ones from an acoustic guitar.The goth series seemed to me the kind of guitars you'd use to play in a thrash oriented industrial band,you being the base guitarist.

Aside from that,the woods and the finish on it are marvellous,I wonder how it would sound like with decent pick ups.

I want to play rock oriented songs,ranging from paradise lost/katatonia to anathema/sigur ros timbers,any ideas on which pick ups would be good to achieve this? I dont really care for super speed solos or killer thrash sharpness,Im more into coldness and sustain type of sounds,If I manage to marry this with killer timbers it would be great too, Im waiting for your suggestions

Actually when i was guitar shoppin the other day and walked out with the PRS. I was originally shopping for a Les Paul Custom but it didnt excite me very much for the price. So i moved to the les paul standard which was beautiful you can really give it some aggression. But i went with the PRS becauser it was more expensive and they both were equally as good and i may be able to afford the standard at a later point. either way, both lovely guitars.

affinityband said:
Actually when i was guitar shoppin the other day and walked out with the PRS. I was originally shopping for a Les Paul Custom but it didnt excite me very much for the price. So i moved to the les paul standard which was beautiful you can really give it some aggression. But i went with the PRS becauser it was more expensive and they both were equally as good and i may be able to afford the standard at a later point. either way, both lovely guitars.

Congratz for your new PRS friend :)

Bereavement said:
really>? do u meant not to use passive pickups on les paul ?
I have opposite idea from yours :) I don't like active pickups on lespaul :)
I just feel weird about the active guitar sound came from a les paul lol

I said don't put passive pick ups in an Epiphone, the wood doesn't do any justice to expensive pick ups

The Wretched said:
If I recall,the woods on the goth g-400 are mahogany,ebony and rosewood,all of them are quite good woods,I dont know if youre talking about other epis too.

yeah but woods has grades, like both mahogany used on Gibson and Epip are different grade, also the maple top of les paul, epip that one thin like a paper while gibson that one with about 20 mm thickness. rosewood is the most accessible to recongonize the quality by appeal.
some lower grade rosewood has alot of cracks and looks dull when the higher grade looks more shiny and smooth and dark.

I remember Blakky's Epiphone too.After that he bought a Esp-Ltd deluxe.
Anyways wood material is the most important part of characterizing instrument's sound.Of course its type and its quality.
Let me give you a general information.
Alder is a wood with medium weight and soft-medium hardness.It has got a nicely balanced dry tone rich mid range and its the most popular wood.
Mahogany is med-heavy weight med hardness and it has got a warm and rich mid&low clean and smooth high.
White Ash is a heavy and hard material.Punchy low and edged high very agressive sound.Best for metal.
Swamp Ash is a very light and soft material.Its really extremely light weighted and has got a very dry sound.
Hard Maple is heavy and extra hard material.Atacky tone with quick response nice balance with mahogany back.
Soft maple has got a medium weight and hardness.Beautiful quilted grain nice balance with mahogany back.
Paduak is a heavy hard material.Bright and dry sound with tight bottom.
Bubinga is the most heavy and hard material and its very chunky hard bottom.
Walnut is hard and heavy too also.Plenty of mids warm viscid tone.
Koa is a medium weight material.Rich and warm mid range sometime nice flame grain.
Rosewood is a heavy hard material with creamy and warm sound with rich body.
Ebony is heavy and extra hard material.Mostly used for fingerboard attacky sound and "black beauty"looking.
Basswood is a light material.Wide range balanced tone close to alder but less body.

Well i ordered my new custom guitar wood material as swamp ash.But my favorite is a quality mahogany.

Edit after 3 hours
I really wonder who gave me bad reputation with comment "you're ugly" because of this post about guitar woods by the way.Best wishes to him/her.

Reactions: Vincent J.
dark_exile said:
I remember Blakky's Epiphone too.After that he bought a Esp-Ltd deluxe.
Anyways wood material is the most important part of characterizing instrument's sound.Of course its type and its quality.
Let me give you a general information.
Alder is a wood with medium weight and soft-medium hardness.It has got a nicely balanced dry tone rich mid range and its the most popular wood.
Mahogany is med-heavy weight med hardness and it has got a warm and rich mid&low clean and smooth high.
White Ash is a heavy and hard material.Punchy low and edged high very agressive sound.Best for metal.
Swamp Ash is a very light and soft material.Its really extremely light weighted and has got a very dry sound.
Hard Maple is heavy and extra hard material.Atacky tone with quick response nice balance with mahogany back.
Soft maple has got a medium weight and hardness.Beautiful quilted grain nice balance with mahogany back.
Paduak is a heavy hard material.Bright and dry sound with tight bottom.
Bubinga is the most heavy and hard material and its very chunky hard bottom.
Walnut is hard and heavy too also.Plenty of mids warm viscid tone.
Koa is a medium weight material.Rich and warm mid range sometime nice flame grain.
Rosewood is a heavy hard material with creamy and warm sound with rich body.
Ebony is heavy and extra hard material.Mostly used for fingerboard attacky sound and "black beauty"looking.
Basswood is a light material.Wide range balanced tone close to alder but less body.

Well i ordered my new custom guitar wood material as swamp ash.But my favorite is a quality mahogany.

Edit after 3 hours
I really wonder who gave me bad reputation with comment "you're ugly" because of this post about guitar woods by the way.Best wishes to him/her.

nice information Dark Exile (Y)

and yeah, quality mahogany is my fav wood for guitar body too, ash second it.

I recently accquired a SG guitar from Gianinni (Brazilian guitar brand) from the 70's era,which has a huge quality in comparison to Gianinni guitars nowadays ( and it was a bargain =] ), it is made from 2 types of brazilian mahogany,top quality woods,the guitar is almost new as the previous owner didnt used it that much.Im thinking about equipping it with 2 Dimmarzio PAF pickups.