Blind Guardian

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Well, I've never been a big BG fan at all. The middle earth, folk metal sound has never been my thing. With that said, I received a two song sampler of Blind Guardian's new studio disc from a Century Media order that I received the other day. For my taste, the sampler songs sound great! I was really surprised at how much I was diggin' what I was hearing. I listened to it again on my way to work this morning and I have to say I'm going to have to buy me some Blind Guardian now! :headbang:

You need to get in the fastest vehicle you can find and go to the nearest record store. There you shall purchase "Somewhere Far Beyond" and "Imaginations From the Other Side", and your life will be good forevermore.

NiME is a classic, there is no disputing that. It is a must have, however if I had to recommend just one Blind Guardian CD, I would have to say "Tales from the Twilight World". Still I think NiME is the epitome of BG, Tales is probably my favorite CD.

Entrerie said:
NiME is a classic, there is no disputing that. It is a must have, however if I had to recommend just one Blind Guardian CD, I would have to say "Tales from the Twilight World". Still I think NiME is the epitome of BG, Tales is probably my favorite CD.

For once Entrerie, it's hard to disagree with you. :lol: I will just add that while NIME may be the epitome of Blind Guardian for many people, I think the album that defines their sound is Somewhere Far Beyond, NIME is actually not a very typical album from them (if there is such a thing), although it's an excellent one.

Braxil said:
For once Entrerie, it's hard to disagree with you. :lol: I will just add that while NIME may be the epitome of Blind Guardian for many people, I think the album that defines their sound is Somewhere Far Beyond, NIME is actually not a very typical album from them (if there is such a thing), although it's an excellent one.

True, it seems like Somewhere Fary Beyond is the foundation of what has become the BG sound we so cherish, while NiME is the complete transformation and created the BG legacy that they will be known forever for.

I just can't wait to see em live in December. When I saw the DVD "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass" I was just dumbfounded too see such a live performance. The instrumentals were spot on, it's like how can a human being play that, and they do. Hansi does a great job singing. Some people don't like a live show to be like the CD experience, for me it just amazes me when a live show is a like the CD.

They'll be here in 2 weeks, and I know it's a longshot but if they play The Last Candle the venue's gonna have some floor mopping to do. :p

Braxil said:
They'll be here in 2 weeks, and I know it's a longshot but if they play The Last Candle the venue's gonna have some floor mopping to do. :p

I hear that =) I can only wish. :worship:

I'd recommend starting with the 2-CD set just called "Live." You should be able to find it for the price of a normal CD. It's produced great (due to overdubs) and will get you ready for the crowd-sing-along participation. Then, as you figure out which songs you like from that, look up what albums they come from and get those.

TychoCelchu said:
I'd recommend starting with the 2-CD set just called "Live." You should be able to find it for the price of a normal CD. It's produced great (due to overdubs) and will get you ready for the crowd-sing-along participation. Then, as you figure out which songs you like from that, look up what albums they come from and get those.

Great suggestion....I'll check it out. :kickass:

I agree 100% about the dvd/cd issue, Braxil.....I can't wait to see them - 12 more days!!!!

EOT - pick up Imaginations From The Other Side and be prepared to be floored.......

I think the DVD LOOKS better (it's basically the best video-quality music DVD I've ever seen) but I don't find the difference in sound so large.

EDIT: obviously the video quality on the DVD is better than the video quality on the CD... I mean just that it's the best looking DVD of music I have seen.

Somewhere Far Beyond is definitely my favorite BG album, but the weird thing is that I'm kinda different from most BG fans I've talked to, as I spin Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind far more often than I do Imaginations or NiME. I love them all, though :saint: I'm still getting used to their most recent two albums, however

How could anyone not like these guys? :( :( :(

a1274cf6ml2.jpg

One of my fav bands of all time. Its amazing how great they are and how they progress with each album in its own unique way.

Best band in the world - ever! I think that once you 'get' them, there's no turning back :headbang:

'Imaginations' for me is just superb, but the new disc is just fantastic. ANATO is just a bit too harsh sounding for me - perhaps a little over-zealous on the mastering front methinks. Still good though.

Always something going on in a BG song. Never a dull moment :) Check 'And then there was slience'. Fifteen minutes (ish) of pure musical genius.