BMD - drum observation?

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I was listening to BMD today, the cd that initially got me into Katatonia, and although I love the cd I always thought that there was something missing. Is it anyone elses opinion that the drum sound/performance on that cd is very weak? I mean the music/guitars/vocals are so extraordinary that the drum sound really pales by comparison, it just doesn't hold up the bottom and could have been so much more powerful. Just nit-picking I know, but does anyone else notice this?

I like the simplistic attitude the drums have on BMD, not only because it seems fitting, but it makes the songs easier for me to play.

Ofcourse, maybe that just means I need to make use of my drums more often and actually learn how to play things.

I also noticed that the drums were quite simplistic. But, I think they fit the mood of the album quite well. It makes the album very unique and beautiful without being overdone. While on DoDS, Jonas did a little extra and it sometimes sounded to hectic. By the way, the drums on the "For Funerals To Come" EP are great. Thought I'd make mention of that.

It's all about bad triggers folks'
Programmed drums can sound more real than those.
The album still kick major ass though, and the drums hotten up on "sounds of decay"

yeah the drums (featuring a very tiny bass lacking clicky bass drum and a snare that was muted all it's sustain and punch) is actually played by renkse all the way thru.

this album could need a major facelift as in a RE-MIX and RE-MASTER (ehh.. as i come to think about it, the original version wasnt even mastered - hence the lowest audio output in history)....would be worth it!

Blakkheim said:
yeah the drums (featuring a very tiny bass lacking clicky bass drum and a snare that was muted all it's sustain and punch) is actually played by renkse all the way thru.

this album could need a major facelift as in a RE-MIX and RE-MASTER (ehh.. as i come to think about it, the original version wasnt even mastered - hence the lowest audio output in history)....would be worth it!
If i had the tracks i'd do it myself for you guys for free. One can dream.

Blakkheim said:

do it

please;)

Blakkheim said:

I knew Jonas did the drumming, and I thought it was done tastefully. Sure, the sound was bad, but that's ok. I thought Jonas did quite well on Dane of December Souls though. Nothing truly spectacular, but it was a unique style.

And please, do remaster BMD. That'd be great.

Well, just a remaster wouldn't do much.

Buuut a remix would be great, with todays tech you could punch up those drums a bit and maybe the bass to. The guitars are nice, they would shimmer well on a remastered version.

I think one of my favorite things about BMD is the atmosphere it has, and I think the way the drumming sounds adds to that.

A remix would be cool, but i love the original recording too. :headbang: