Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Billenzimmer

Jan 19, 2006
Bolt Thrower- Those Once Loyal
Metal Blade Records- 15/11/2005
By James Willcock

bolt_thrower-those_once_loyal.jpg

I really can't decide if I like Bolt Thrower or not. I don’t know why, as they are the kind of death metal with thrash influences that I’m partial to, and the music has the kind of groove that you can bang your head to that I deem almost essential in metal. Yet the music seems to lack a certain je ne sais quoi that would elevate it to the status of music I really love. Perhaps it’s the fact that once a song hits its stride, it happily marches on in the same fashion for the next several minutes, making the listen a some what unchallenging one.

This aside, this album is easy to recommend- if you’ve liked Bolt Thrower in the past, you’ll like this, if you haven’t been fussed, then it’s probably not worth the effort. It’s not that this is a bad album- the band (with a fairly classic line up of Karl Willets on vocals, Barry Thompson and Gavin Ward on guitars, Jo Bench on bass and Martin Kearns on drums) play very well together, with chugging bass lines and pounding drums underlying thunderous guitars, all mixed with vocals that would scare large rottweilers. The production is spot on, with every element balanced near perfectly to give the music maximum impact.

The problem lies with the style- Bolt Thrower have been producing their own brand of death metal for 20 years now, and this album sees the band sticking to their guns (particularly apt, given their ever so slight obsession with all things military and warfare) and releasing more of the same. Even the press release states “In a world of compromise… some don’t”. Fans of the music will be delighted to hear another fine effort; everyone else will continue to be thoroughly uninterested. That said, if you haven’t heard Bolt Thrower before, this is as good a place as any to get started, and I recommend that you should at least check them out as they are by no means a bad band. You never know, you might be loyal (see what I did there), and just not yet know it. Therefore, in keeping with UM’s rating scale, I put this on the boundary and give it….

6.5/10

Close. It's an 8.5, but then again, I'm a massive Bolt Thrower fan.

I think it combines all the best elements from "...For Victory" with the best elements from "Mercenary" to excellent effect.

I love their new album. Much more concentrated and better than their previous Honour-Valor-Pride album.

Maybe I was a little harsh with the score, perhaps a 7 or 7.5, as it is above average for the genre, although I still stand by the fact there is nothing here for people who haven't liked Bolt Thrower in the past

Yea yea, "Those Once Loyal" was the first BT album I have had, and I still love it, my rating is 8.5 - the sound is perfect - what a ride!