Books

My point is that its fucking ridiculous - people totally ignore any traces of satire... sometimes I just want to set fire to this town.

Just trudged through this entire thread and I found no mention of Dan Brown. I found "Angels & Demons" at a local book store for 30% off $6.00, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I plowed through that book in about three days. I don't think I've read a book this addicting since Harry Potter, however, those are more or less geared toward the younger ages.

I'm interested in finding a copy of Steppenwolf, as well as checking out Hesse's other works after reading this thread. I've read Siddhartha but that about does it for me.

Currently re-reading The Brothers Karamazov again. The last time I read it I was in ninth grade and thought it was great, but I probably couldn't grasp what the book was telling me. Or perhaps my translation of it just sucks.

Well, I finished "Portrait..." last night, and when I get my Christmas present tomorrow I will start on "Ulysses" OMG I AM SO EXCITED LOL!!! Getting a book for Christmas = win.

For fun, I read a few reviews on the book at amazon.com and I came across this one. Prepare to laugh at ignorance:

This is one of those books that "smart" people like to "read." Well if being smart means liking this, count me out! I don't know if it's modern, post-modern or what: but I know this much, I'd rather just curl up with "Bridges of Madison County" for a good cry! I don't understand why such a 'great' author can't seem to come up with a straightfoward plot that makes sense. I'd like to have seen Leopold patch things up with Molly, am I right? I mean, let's get down to brass tacks: don't we all hate those intellectuals who consider this one of the century's 'finest works of literary craft'? I mean these are the people who put "Citizen Kane" in the top ten...and totally ignored "Life as a House"! (No offense, but Orson Welles is no Kevin Kline!) Unless Oprah puts it on her book list, I won't be picking this one up again, that's for sure.

:lol:

I saw some National Geographic special on the Da Vinci code today, now I'm a bit interested in the book.

Started War of the Worlds a week or two ago, it's kinda boring me so I'll probably come back to it later. Or I'll just read it really fast and be done with it, so I can say "yeah I read that." :)

Got Nabokov's Pale Fire today and already started it. If the book is as fun as the foreward, I shall verily muchly enjoy this.

Black Winter Day said:
This is one of those books that "smart" people like to "read." Well if being smart means liking this, count me out! I don't know if it's modern, post-modern or what: but I know this much, I'd rather just curl up with "Bridges of Madison County" for a good cry! I don't understand why such a 'great' author can't seem to come up with a straightfoward plot that makes sense. I'd like to have seen Leopold patch things up with Molly, am I right? I mean, let's get down to brass tacks: don't we all hate those intellectuals who consider this one of the century's 'finest works of literary craft'? I mean these are the people who put "Citizen Kane" in the top ten...and totally ignored "Life as a House"! (No offense, but Orson Welles is no Kevin Kline!) Unless Oprah puts it on her book list, I won't be picking this one up again, that's for sure.

:lol:

hahahahahahaaha

it's ridiculous how Oprah exerts so much control over an army of overweight middleaged women

Whoa, that review was serious? I read it last night and just assumed it was a joke. Fucking pathetic if not.

One Inch Man said:
Started War of the Worlds a week or two ago, it's kinda boring me so I'll probably come back to it later. Or I'll just read it really fast and be done with it, so I can say "yeah I read that." :)

the book by h.g. wells? if so, it's the first time i'm hearing someone finding a book of his 'boring'. anyways, i recommend you check out 'time machine' if you are interested in fictions about what capitalism is leading us to in the future, utopic stuff etc. and also 'the invisible man', for a nice grotesque adventure set in 19.century in small towns of england, with a semi-mad scientist as the main character...

By boring I meant it's not really capturing my attention, not that it sucks so to speak. :) I think I read Time Machine many years ago, yeah I'm pretty sure I did. Pretty sure I liked it too.

yeah Arrested Development is hilarious.

I started Master and Margherita by Bulgakhov, and it is quickly shaping up to be a all time favorite.

haha
no

my street was a complete ice rink.
street.jpg

this end of my street was almost completely blocked off by fallen limbs.
streettrees.jpg

out in front of our apt...more fallen tree limbs.
streetyard.jpg

From experience in Cincy, its not the snow, its the ice that makes driving difficult. I imagine you get a bit of ice in Sweden. But remember, apart from a few major cities, you cant go anywhere in the US without a car. and when ice hits, and lunatics are out on the street and will sue you, increasing your car insurance premiums, it becomes a hassle.