Books

I've only read THe Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway and it made me kinda mad, but I'm willing to try another of his someday in the future. Just not right now.

Finished Desolation Angels last night (this morning really), I'd have to say that was up there with Dharma Bums and On the Road, but seemed much more personal. Might start on Big Sur tonight, I took a several month break from Kerouac after reading 4 of his books in a row, now, like a woman, I want more. MORE!

Yep, started on Big Sur last night. Just finished it. Pretty disturbing look at the effects of alcohol. Made me ponder a few somewhat similar situations in my own life and think "god damn..."

I read Heart of the Dog by Bulgakov in about an hour and a half. I think he has become one of my top three authors. Mixing satire, realism, and fantasy like a true master.

Hemingway is hard to read. I've read The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell TOlls, and some other war novel. All depressing. No wonder the dude killed himself.

Finally finished The Talisman. Sheesh, at least the ending was pretty good. Just started Black House.

Just ordered:

Revolt Against the Modern World [Hardcover] by Evola, Julius
Men Among the Ruins: Post-War Reflections of a Radical
Traditionalist... by Evola, Julius

Yeah, I'm pumped.

I started The Soft Machine by Burroughs about a week ago, but have been too busy pullin' my pud all week to read it some more. Probably get liquored and/or caffeined up and get back to it after 24 tonight.

Shit is thoroughly fucked up. Burroughs was as disturbing as he was excellent. Sheesh.

Doomcifer said:
Just ordered:

Revolt Against the Modern World [Hardcover] by Evola, Julius
Men Among the Ruins: Post-War Reflections of a Radical
Traditionalist... by Evola, Julius

Yeah, I'm pumped.

Cool, I've been meaning to order some of his works lately and will likely do so pretty soon.

So who is this Julius Evola?

Oh, well I have been reading thesis related materials and economics books, but I did finish Ellis's biography of George Washington; it was quite good. I really enjoyed Amartya Sen's Development as freedom book--he's a nobel prize winning economist.

speed said:
So who is this Julius Evola?

He was an italian baron and a radical traditionalist/anti-modernist (and fascist, depending on what you put into the word) who criticizied modern civilisation on a number of levels and has also written about zen buddhism and hinduism. From what I've gathered of your general outlook an opinions, he might not be entirely your cup of tea hehe, but perhaps it can be interesting regardless if one agrees or not.

Here's more if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola

No, oddly enough, your description of him interests me Spaffe. I dont know how I come off on this board but one thing I am not crazy about, is a technology driven future. I dont even own a cell phone, and I am quite alarmed by these tracking devices they have already developed. I'm going to have to check him out.

Its true. Im a active nihilst.

i read a few reviews on amazon, and he sounds a bit like nietzsche. so i guess I will go pick up a copy in the school library.

I guess its the whole economics thing--for positivism. No, I actually disagree with almost all of my teachers on everything. And interestingly enough most of the old economists from Adam Smith to Keynes werent really positivists either. simple abstract mathmatical models that supposedly explain the economy, or anything else in life, scare the fucking hell out of me. Im a literature/ philosophy geek stuck in a profession I at least find interesting.
On a side note, apart from his method and conclusion, Marx is damn interesting. He has an excellent critique of capitalism. I was forced to read all of his works by next week for a class. the Grundrisse is damn interesting. i of course dvehemently disagree with his dialectical view of the world, and his solution, but he isnt as bad as I thought he was.

Marx is a lot of fun, yes. I always assumed he was a putz until I read a lot of his schtick a few years back. Good times.

Well I finally received Evola's Revolt Against the Modern World from the library loan service. I started reading it, and wow, I cant say I agree with him on his spiritual Platonic return to Tradition, but it certainly makes one think about the origins of everything, and the bankrupcy of our materialistic capitalist culture. Anything else of his I should read Doomcifer? Looks like alot of it is on the occult.