Books

How was the new Cornwell book about the Saxon invasions of Britain? And you know I really enjoyed the Archer series, but I don believe Ive read this King Arthur trilogy. I suppose its historical in nature--not myth oriented?

The Last Kingdom was excellent...I would fully recommend it.

the Arthur trilogy....as he puts it in his Author's Notes at the end of the first book (the Winter King), there is a clear progression from the ancient Celtic cauldron tales involving magic to the oral traditions which spread the tale into all of Britain and Normandy....the Cauldron morphed into the Grail and over the centuries various additions were added to the story, such as Lancelot (who in these books is painted as a complete buffoon) and many of the various characters we take for granted today...then of course there was also the Church, who used the oral tales for its own ends. So Cornwell basically says, I've used some of the oldest stuff and sprinkled in some of the new. But he cleverly, as a literary device, has as the narrator an aging monk who is writing the truth in Saxon, his patron Queen, Igraine, who is promptly handing his scrolls over to her own scribe for translation (and her own embellishments), and the Bishop who suspects the monk of something close to heresy, and is teaching his own catamite accolyte to read both languages so he can use the tales for his own ends.

As usual Cornwell displays (and this is a plus) his characters' disdain for religion and so there is precious little pontification other than that coming from individuals who always have their own agenda.

These are easily his most "fantasy" oriented books (other than the standalone Stonehenge novel), involving as it does Merlin and various druids, although the magic is never definitive and as often as not plays on the superstitions of the characters more than the genuineness of the spells.

all of which is a long way of saying its only as historical as oral tradition can be.

Sounds intriguing, but I think I'll stick to the last kingdom for now; itll only take me a day to read; whereas I will have to read all three of the Arthur trilogy.

I remember he wrote an excellent book on Stonehenge too.

shit ... it has been sitting on my coffee table for 2 weeks now and have not touched it. maybe this week will start it.

I almost bought it at Barnes y Noble a few weeks ago, but it was $14. I won't even jew up for Kerouac at that price sometimes. :loco:

There, just picked it up for $7.78. Currently reading Pale Fire, gave up on War of the Worlds for now because it bored me.

I used to think that way, until about 2 years ago, which is right about the time I started reading 3 books a month instead of 3 a year (besides college books). Oh, and Kerouac = nonfiction, I don't care what anybody says. :tickled:

Just Burroughs and Ginsburg, so far. In the past year or so I've read 6 out of the 14 books in the Duluoz legend, I'm pacing myself on purpose so I don't get burned out on him.

Right now I'm reading Jim Crace's Being Dead (again, haha), and Salman Rushdie's Grimus, dunno about that one, hardly started it, but I liked Midnight's Children a lot. And Much Ado about Nothing, during meals :Spin:

yow, this second book in the Arthur trilogy, Enemy of God, is rocking mightily! BloodSpurtArteryMurder! Arthur and the narrator Derfel caught Art's wife Guinevere banging these twin druids and much bloodshed did ensue. Plus, Derfel has sworn an oath to kill the Saxon leader Aell, but has discovered that Aell is actually his fucking DAD. Woooooooooooooooooooooo

Brave New World is the only book I ever bought the Cliff Notes to.

Decided to set Pale Fire aside for the time being since I wasn't paying attention to it, and started Ground Beneath Her Feet by Rushdie. Only got 10 pages in last night before needing to pass out, but it has already sucked me in. It looks to get really weird (surprise surprise).