Books

Dick Sirloin said:
I also have to read a book for class, ORYX AND CRAKE by Margaret Atwood. Looks interesting.

^ That's a pretty good book. I'm a sucker for dystopian novels, and Atwood does it quite well. If you like OaC, then check out "The Handmaid's Tale" for more in that vein. How are you coming along on Eggers's "Heartbreaking..."?

Hah, I started the Nabokov instead, although I do plan on reading Eggers sometime very soon. Over Christmas break, maybe?

We had our first Atwood discussion today (we were supposed to have read to pg 70 but I didn't do the reading) and it sounds interesting as hell. The main character's name is Snowman? Awesome.

Thanatopsis123 said:
I just ordered a translation of the Dao De Jing.
it is an amazing book, mine has the original chinese script next to the english translation. i read them both (but only understand the one :loco: ).

just started reading Crime and Punishment again tonight ... for some reason this time around it's more enthralling.
i think i first picked it up about 5 years ago and left it after 20-30 pages.

i started Unfinished Tales last night, but quickly passed out after the introduction.

i was hardcore enough to read the Silmarillion, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to read this one just yet. i think i'll try Nabokov - Pale Fire again, or Rushdie - Midnight's Children first.

Yeah, the Silmarillion is much easier to read than the Unfinished Tales stuff. I have a few but I've only read one all the way through.

got that HOUSE OF LEAVES book from ebay ... just leafing through the pages ... WTF is going on here??? :erk: o_O

Hahahaha....

It's an excellent book and not nearly as difficult as it looks (although there's one chapeter where you'll be compelled to skip a lot of stuff, but don't).

The only thing that pisses me off is when Danielewski thinks he's Pynchon and goes on page-long freeform tangents that have flashes of brilliance but for the most part seem pretty thin imitation.

Also, you will have to think in abstract, post-modernist terms if you want to make out what the house really represents.

Sexy Little Otter said:
huh, never heard of that before but just read a bit on Amazon, sounds pretty interesting.

I reccomended that book to you in the pm that got deleted.

in honor of Dick Sirloin:

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he's pissed.

Finished PALE FIRE and ORYX AND CRAKE...

PF is better than LOLITA and definitely THE GIFT (which bored the fuck outta me). Seriously, it's like... really good. I'll probably read it a few more times in my life. I like how the editor/annotator gets wackier and wackier as the story progresses but then you realize by the end "Hey, he might not be all that crazy after all." A lot of "pure gold" passages that warrant extensive readings. Nabokov was the fucking man, I need to read more of his stuff (where the hell is speed????).

OandC was pretty good. Nothing to write home about, but a pretty enjoyable Orwellian escapade that probably isn't too far off from how America will end up.