Books

with the cold weather and indoor activity days on the way ... need some good book recommendations dammit.

want to read something engaging ... any tips?

Besides the new George RR Martin which I'm pretty sure I've already raved about:

Tad Williams–Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. Pretty cool high fantasy trilogy; the best thing about it is the setting, a great reflection of Europe in the early Middle Ages. Has "stupid peasant boy becomes legendary hero" syndrome, but it's well done.

Marrion Zimmer Bradley–Firebrand. It sucks, don't read it. Shitty adaptation of the Iliad which largely consists of Cassandra the prophetess goes "WOE IS ME" while minor little enocunters like Achilles killing Hector happen offscreen. Boring.

Neil Pollack–Never Mind the Pollacks. A hysterical parody of rock and roll journalism, establishing that the eponymous main character–a figment of the similarly named author's imagination–is responsible for not only inventing rock criticism, but discovering Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones, the Ramones, Kurt Cobain, and any number of other rock bands. Written in a ridiculously overblown style. Really damn funny.

i'm about 15 pages away from reading the entire calvin and hobbes comic strip over the past several weeks. most of the reading was done on the terlit.

The last book I read for pleasure was HOUSE OF LEAVES by Mark Danielewski. It's pretty famous for a modern novel and actually quite literary and postmodern. It's structured like a labyrinth, concerning a house that has larger dimensions on the inside than the outside. A blind crazy dude writes a fake documentary about this supposed house and a family that moved there; there is also another narrator who tells his story through footnotes. It's actually quite scary, but not in a monsters-jumping-out-at-you way, more like "there's a weird 4th dimension we don't know about in modern physics" sort of way, very Lovecraftian. I highly reccomend it.

I also reccomend "Gut Symmetries" by Jeanette Winterson. The new Kurt Vonnegut also wins.

The last book I read for pleasure was HOUSE OF LEAVES by Mark Danielewski.

that sounds really fucking interesting ... how is the read? do I have to disect every page with a microscope? or is there some entertaining aspect to it?

It's entertaining as hell. If you truly want to get lost in a book, give this one a whirl. It's not too difficult IMO.

Do yourself a favor: go to the bookstore and just flip through the book. You'll buy it.

lurch70 said:
sounds good ... just bought it on eBay ... :loco:

Good work, laddie.

One of my friends lent me "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" today... I shall read it over break.

Dick Sirloin said:
Good work, laddie.

One of my friends lent me "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" today... I shall read it over break.

I'm reading that now. Not too far into it, though. I've read "You Shall Know Our Velocity," and it was pretty good, as well as the stuff on McSweeney's. :Spin:

I've been told by several in the creative writing dept. that my style is similar to Eggers. If this is true, then he is one of the greatest writers of all time. :p

well, if Harry Pooter #4 was :erk: and #5 was :cry: then #6 was :cry: .

damn. must say i'm very much looking forward to the final book now. i really enjoy how her writing style has matured with the age of the characters. i'll definitely check out future writing by her.