Books

Décadent said:
Also getting through G.I. Gurdjieff's "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson". Has anyone else read this? Holy shit...

Nope, what's it about? Fiction, or?

I'm currently reading a swedish book mainly concerning Ernst Jünger and his thoughts/philosopy, but also the people around him during the era of the Weimar republic. It's really intersting stuff, and I'll probably move on and read some of his own writings later on.

origin.jpg

Finally read it.

spaffe said:
Nope, what's it about? Fiction, or?

It's a narrative, in which Beelzebub explains to his grandson the reasoning behind the failure of the human species in a cosmic sense. I can't explain it much better than that at this stage.

finished that Guenon book last night. Good social criticism. Read Vikernes' Irminsul essay/booklet today and some of the ideas were a little... strange... but otherwise it was interesting.

Now I'm reading Impeachment of Man by Savitri Devi.

Finished Impeachment of Man.

Good book if you ask me. I enjoyed the parts regarding environmental practices and attitudes towards animals except how she thinks that meat eating is totally evil and should be abolished completely. Also I think that Savitri Devi's proposed "ideal" society is a tad unrealistic. However, all utopian societies are unrealistic as a general rule.

At the moment I am reading the 4th book in the Dark Tower series, as well as The Age of Reason by Jean Paul Sartre, just finished the lastest Harry Potter. Quite an odd cross section now I think of it...

spaffe said:
Finished Arthur C. Clarke's Rama a couple of days ago. A nice read, his obvious technical knowledge makes the story so much more believable. Right now I'm some one hundred pages into Rama II which seems very promising as well.
This is an old post I just noticed, but since I've been getting into a lot of science fiction lately, care to recommend a starting point for Arthur C. Clarke? Cheers.

Probably will finish Mostly Harmless tonight, the last in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to Donuts, Women, Beer, and the Galaxy series.

circus_brimstone said:
Just completed Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary.
i really liked that book a lot, almost as good as fear and loathing...or perhaps as good, but in a different way. it really made me want to be there.

One Inch Man said:
This is an old post I just noticed, but since I've been getting into a lot of science fiction lately, care to recommend a starting point for Arthur C. Clarke? Cheers.

I've only read his three Rama books; it's a trilogy with a steady decline in quality I'm afraid, with book one being really good and the third kind of meh-ish. But anyway I really recomend the first one (Rendezvous with Rama), awesomly dark and mysterious sci-fi.

spaffe said:
I've only read his three Rama books; it's a trilogy with a steady decline in quality I'm afraid, with book one being really good and the third kind of meh-ish. But anyway I really recomend the first one (Rendezvous with Rama), awesomly dark and mysterious sci-fi.
i recommend that one too, i read it a few years ago and remember really liking it...i oughtta reread it...

cthulufhtagn said:
i really liked that book a lot, almost as good as fear and loathing...or perhaps as good, but in a different way. it really made me want to be there.

I still haven't read Hell's Angels or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but I need to and want to. Same here, though, I've had a hankering for rum ever since I picked it up. I'm almost finished with Murakami's After the Quake.

Kickass, time to get some Clarke. :kickass:

Just finished the last of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Very good stuff, but the last book was a bit depressing and out of style for the regular goofiness I had grown accustomed to. Hmm.