Books

Looking forward to some fantasy books later this year.

New Harry Potter
New book in the Song of fire and ice by George RR Martin
New book in the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan

Martin is taking so long with this latest that I've not only lost interest, I can't remember any details from the story. And I don't much fancy rereading the previous books again (already have like 2-3 times).

As for that dumb fuck Robert Jordan, I haven't read the last few in that series. Is it the last book yet? I'll read some parts of that to see how it ends...maybe.

a good techy book i read recently is Bruce Sterling's "The Zenith Angle". it gets a bit over-the-top towards the end but good nonetheless. the character Mike Hickok is actually *loosely* based on my wife's uncle.

Just finished (3rd time):

RandAnthemPB.jpg

Still reading:

000699.jpg

I hate to do this again, but doesn't Ayn Rand's philosophy and the mindless Objectivist sheep army she's enslaved through her propaganda-filled books annoy the fuck out of anyone else?

She should have stopped after The Fountainhead. She would have remained a curiosity...an author at best. One with a simple yet evocative style. Now she's a stain on the yellow bedsheet of faux-philosophy.

I've never read Ayn Rand because it seemed like scientology to me. So this comment is based on the previous 3 minutes of me looking at an Objectivism website and nothing more.
Ayn Rand said:
My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
Ha. I've often found that trying to make a "moral" choice almost always involves me being unhappy, and that's not even calling into question the objectivity behind said morality, if such a thing even exists. Same things goes for the reason bit, since the reason of one is certainly not the reason of another, how can this whimsical reason actually be absolute? I believe in truth being the only absolute, but there are very few things in this world more complex than "I'm typing on the internet and listening to The Who" that I can fully qualify as an absolute truth.

Oh and fuck being productive. I believe in love and art.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I hate to do this again, but doesn't Ayn Rand's philosophy and the mindless Objectivist sheep army she's enslaved through her propaganda-filled books annoy the fuck out of anyone else?

Yes, absolutely. But Anthem is good. I like dystopian books.

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged.

My pre-ordered Harry Potter arrived while I was on vacation! :kickass:

And, I'm definately looking forward to the next "Song of Ice and Fire"! I found the series to be absolutely breath taking!

Night Mare said:
Stephen Kings Dark Tower series, awesome stuff, even though I despise Cowboys.

Half of this sentance rules + is the truth, and half of this sentance sucks ass.

I've been sick the last couple of days, so about fourteen hours ago, I decided to start reading the new Harry Potter. I finished it half an hour ago. :erk:

A nice read, though! The ending was very sad...

read a little more than half of Guénon's The Reign of Quanitity and the Signs of the Times while I was out fishing. I hope I'll finish the rest sometime within the next week.

Finished Moby-Dick today, only took me ten years. Now I'm going to either re-read Catch-22 or try to tackle Paradise Lost after one or two previously unsuccessful attempts.

Currently reading Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons". Pretty enjoyable and engrossing.

Also getting through G.I. Gurdjieff's "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson". Has anyone else read this? Holy shit...