Books

i'll tell you what man, a friend of mine could rival you in terms of booksnobbery, and i even got him hooked on Harry Pooter when he used to laugh at me reading them.

I read the first one. Reminded me of Roald Dahl. Was pretty good, but when there is so much GREATNESS out there to read, I don't find it all that enticing to read them all. Maybe one day I will, though.

i don't really like harry potter...i read the first 4 books too, when they each first came out, and thought they were ok but by the 4th one she'd lost me...i dunno, it's just not that great and i can't stand how obsessed people get about it

she tells a good story and has enthralling characters. what's not to love?

she's the only modern writer i enjoy, unless you count Salman Rushdie. which of course i don't, because his works transcend lesser things such as time and space.

I had a dream last night that I re-read THE SATANIC VERSES and did a report on it for class, only to discover that I'd accidentally read a Nicholas Sparks book instead. I failed.

How did I deal with this dream? Re-read the first 100 pages of GRAVITY'S RAINBOW and wrote an english paper on Angela Carter's THE PASSION OF NEW EVE. Weird.

Well, you have to be a nerd on certain days in college, else thou shalt be hastily removed. It ain't tits and beer the whole time, ya know...

I left White Noise in the car

and it's cold out, and I'm not wearing shoes

so I've started reading Gravity's Rainbow and i'll get back to delillo later

yeah I'm sure you're right

and wtf is this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433481/

although WN does have a tangible plot to base a film on, no way will it pick up the intricacies that make the book worthwhile

tho I'm still bitter about the time I was psyched to see Breakfast of Champions the movie, and then actually watched it, and well it always gets my panties in a bunch everytime I see a new book to film translation take place

but.. Barry Sonnenfeld!?! c'mon!! argh

Bwahahahaha... there's already a movie called White Noise and it's like a ghost story or something.

I don't trust this either.

oh man, hahaha

when I was at border's buying White Noise the other week, I go up to the checkout, where a piggly little indie fag in his dark rimmed glasses was the cashier ...

him: "oh, white noise!!! I've been looking for this one!"

me: "it's not the movie"

him: "oh.................... well is it as good as that anyway?"

me: "they're not even related, and I don't even know what this book's about, but I KNOW it's not the movie"

him: "oh....... well I've been looking for the one the movie was based on for a long time!!!!!"

*/me grabs receipt from piggy's hands and walks out the store*

haha, cool.

i don't know what i'm going to start on now. i have War of the Worlds and Dune like, 1/2 and 2/3 finished respectively, but i'm not ready to go back to those yet. god damn, either Visions of Cody or maybe finally start Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, it's about the right time of year.

BUT FIRST! American Werewolf in London on DVD. :kickass:

Started PALE FIRE by Vladimir Nabokov... It's clear that Danielewski had this in mind when he wrote HOUSE OF LEAVES.

I also have to read a book for class, ORYX AND CRAKE by Margaret Atwood. Looks interesting.

Dick Sirloin said:
Started PALE FIRE by Vladimir Nabokov...

This book kicks my dick in, I'm already 100 pgs into it. That poem f'ing ruled. I totally didn't expect this book to be so easy to read.

Anyone else read this?