Books

This guy at my office who realized I have awesome tastes in books keeps telling me to read "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, saying it's exactly the kind of thing I would like to read. He has me intrigued!!

Thoughts on this book anyone? Ok though, I highly doubt anyone would except for Dick Sirloin, but ya know.. it's a book thread and all.. so.........

Dick Sirlion is the Audio Savant Club Fan #1 of books.

I finished Stardust by Gaiman last night, took me 3 weeks to get halfway through and then the second half like an hour. Quite a good faerie tale! I'm not surprised though, that dude kicks my dick in.

Tonight I will start on either the Claypool book, more Lovecraft, Visions of Cody by Kerouac, or Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov. Not sure which yet, probably Claypool because it appears to be a real quick read. Need a few more of those before diving back in to a few Rushdie currently books gathering dust. Or maybe Slapstick by Vonnegut, his shit just flies by even though it does more for me mentally than most other authors put together.

For some reason I decided to read Naked Lunch all the way through last night (I was kinda high). Recently read 100 Years of Solitude by Marquez and La Bas by J.K. Huysmans. Good shit

Finished Angels and Demons. Very good it was. Now I'm reading Madame Terror, latest part in the biggest swedish "agent 007" styled book series.

Chromatose said:
This guy at my office who realized I have awesome tastes in books keeps telling me to read "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, saying it's exactly the kind of thing I would like to read. He has me intrigued!!

Thoughts on this book anyone? Ok though, I highly doubt anyone would except for Dick Sirloin, but ya know.. it's a book thread and all.. so.........

I never got around to reading this, and I'm quitting my job tomorrow, so I was given this book as a going away present from the office. It namedrops Gaddis and Pynchon on the back cover, so I suppose it's bound to be good!

Finally picked up a Feast for Crows, I've been reading a ton of those Jack Whyte novels lizard reccomended ( :( ) and stuff.

Can't wait to get my hand on my buddies book so I can call him a douchebag for the parts I don't like :p

benn catching up on my Clive Barker books:

Hellbound Heart (AKA Hellraiser)
Sacrament
Damnation Game
Everville
Great and Secret Show
Coldheart Canyon

I read A Feast for Crows a few months ago. It was good but kind of annoying since half of the characters were virtually omitted from the story for this book. But he said their stories will be told in the next book since he had written so much material that it ended up being split basically into 2 volumes.
Man i kind of love and hate that series. Seems to me most of the characters are jackasses in one capacity or another, but i suppose it's pretty indicative of actual human nature.

Clive Barker is great too but i haven't read much of anything by him since Coldheart Canyon. I've read most of his books and Imajica is probably my favorite book by him.

Carbonized said:
Clive Barker is great too but i haven't read much of anything by him since Coldheart Canyon. I've read most of his books and Imajica is probably my favorite book by him.

the wife is reading Imajica right now. I loved that one.

ill catch up on the Books of the Art by re-reading Great and Secret Show so i know what the hell is happening when I read Everville.

Weaveworld was also really good.

currently reading Sacrament. it's different than usual stuff, but very eerie

J. said:
the wife is reading Imajica right now. I loved that one.

ill catch up on the Books of the Art by re-reading Great and Secret Show so i know what the hell is happening when I read Everville.

Weaveworld was also really good.

currently reading Sacrament. it's different than usual stuff, but very eerie

I vaguely remember Great and Secret Show/Everville but i remember they were very good also. I forgot all about Weaveworld :( That one one is awesome too. Right under Imajica for me. I didn't read Sacrament or Galilee or basically anything after he published Imajica/Thief of Always and before Coldheart.

They have those books at the library so if decide to read them one day i'll be able to borrow those. The premise for the stories just don't grab me but who knows. They could be excellent as well. I just need to get in a reading mood again.

i thought the exact same thing about sacrament. but turns out it's quite good. still dealing with magic like always, but it's quite different from his other-worldly type books.

Thief of Always was good too

238820fi4.jpg

Thats what I'm reading now. Classic. Damn great.

J. said:
i thought the exact same thing about sacrament. but turns out it's quite good. still dealing with magic like always, but it's quite different from his other-worldly type books.

Thief of Always was good too

Yea but the whole bit about a photographer (i think it is?) seemed odd but more than likely i'll pick it up some day. I just have to be in the right mood for certain ideas and stories and don't read indiscriminately like i used to.

When i do pick up another book it will probably be one by Terry Pratchett.

Chromatose: I've read his story collection Brief Interviews With Hideous Men (or something like that). Weird stuff, don't know if I appreciated it enough at the time (I read it in high school) and I've always been interested in IJ because it's a goddamned behemoth and supposedly very good

bought this past weekend

WAR AND PEACE
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GREY (hola dorian :loco: )
ANGELS & DEMONS

really looking forward to WAR AND PEACE this cold winter ... anyone read this?

Reading Kate Chopin - "The Awakening" for class; quote :

Quite interesting book I must say...She has enough hindsight to describe this woman objectively but enlightened by her own experience. I'm quite amused by the fact that this is exactly the portrait of some girls I've hanged out with or sometimes went out with even.. : moody, unpredictable, sometimes unstable. That won't help you understand women, on the contrary it's quite frustrating because you never get a logic explanation of what she does this and that.

I just stumbled upon this while reading :

"She felt like somewhat like a woman who in a moment of passion is betrayed into an act of infidelity, and realizes the significance of the act without being wholly awakened from its glamour. The thought was passing vaguely through her mind, "What he would think?"
She did not mean her husband; she was thinking of Robert Lebrun. Her husband seemed to her now like a person whom she had married without love as an excuse."

9/10 Mrs. Chopin (why "a" woman ? :loco: )

Dick Sirloin said:
Chromatose: I've read his story collection Brief Interviews With Hideous Men (or something like that). Weird stuff, don't know if I appreciated it enough at the time (I read it in high school) and I've always been interested in IJ because it's a goddamned behemoth and supposedly very good

That's why I was told to read it: "Your favorite books are obnoxiously large post-modern novels and you haven't read Infinite Jest?!?!"

So I'm going to be starting on it today.