Books

so I've recently gotten a bunch of books:

9780521833073.gif

This book is incredible, amazing, awesome, completely comprehensive as a reference and for casual reading and probably something by which you'd all be completely bored to death.

BHS-STUTT1.jpg

A large print edition of the BHS because the diacritics in the small print edition are killing my eyes.

biblio33.gif

Hellenistic history is fun, lots of people killing other people.

9780521535618.jpg

Primary sources for course which other text above is for. Collected, translated, and presented all nicely in a single volume since the sources for much of the period are fragmentary. How nice of them.

9780521613323.jpg

This Latin textbook is seriously a joke. I mean seriously... a joke.

Time to go into hiding for the next four months.

MajestikMøøse;6859597 said:
so I've recently gotten a bunch of books:

9780521833073.gif

This book is incredible, amazing, awesome, completely comprehensive as a reference and for casual reading and probably something by which you'd all be completely bored to death.

I looked for this one a while back, and found it was £133 at amazon. :erk: How much was yours?

$195 CDN

Not quite as bad as your price, but still an assraping.

Worth the price though.

So anyway Crimson, tell me something... when did you get interested in Greek Linguistics?

Edit: not Ali, goddamn you bird avatar freaks.

Oh yeah, and by casual reading, just think of me like the linguistics / history freakshow doppelganger of Black Winter Day, but you know, not as cool as Black Winter Day was, because face it, the only people cooler than him were Dick Sirloin and One Inch Man

I've been on a reading spree as of late of easy going fiction

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon
The Eagle Has Landed - Jack Higgins
Silence of the Lambs - Harris
Body of Evidence - Patricia Cornwell

Now reading Dan Simmons' The Terror.

Oh I also recently read Catcher in the Rye and Cormac MacArthy's The Road, which was a harrowing read I must say. Probably affected me so much being a dad and all that.

I've not heard of it....I'll look into it. [I just borrow all my books from the library so I grab a bunch at a time]

Awesome - if you can't find it you can probably get a really cheap used copy from Amazon or just get the paperback at a local store for like $7.00 or whatever.

It's such a thrilling, engrossing story I don't even know where to begin. Just find it and be sure to let me know what you thought of it. :kickass:

Jason

Here's a brief synopsis:

We are not alone...In a remote cave in the Himalayas, a guide discovers a self-mutilated body with the warning "Satan exists." In the Kalahari Desert, a nun unearths evidence of a proto-human species and a deity called Older-than-Old. In Bosnia, something has been feeding upon the dead in a mass grave. So begins mankind's most shocking realization: that the underworld is a vast geological labyrinth populated by another race of beings. Some call them "devils" or "demons." But they are down there. And they are waiting for us to find them. The world's armies respond to the threat and are slaughtered in the dark. But from the panic comes a new resolve.

Hell is real.

0802142923.jpg

I will buy a copy of this book for anyone who is interested. Send me a PM if you are, I believe this is a book everyone should be REQUIRED to read. It's not any fun, that's right, but we still need to read it. Tim Flannery is an Australian scientist who never intended to become one of the leading "spokespersons" against our treatment of the planet but it seems he just couldn't ignore what he was finding.

I'll buy you a copy if the book if you really do intend to read it, and you have to have a discussion with me about it afterward so I know you did read it. RiA is automatically disqualified though because I don't want to have any discussions with him. :erk:

started galilee by clive barker, but lost interest. waiting on barker's Scarlet Gospels.

think about reading the two final sequels to the Dune saga

Here's a brief synopsis:

We are not alone...In a remote cave in the Himalayas, a guide discovers a self-mutilated body with the warning "Satan exists." In the Kalahari Desert, a nun unearths evidence of a proto-human species and a deity called Older-than-Old. In Bosnia, something has been feeding upon the dead in a mass grave. So begins mankind's most shocking realization: that the underworld is a vast geological labyrinth populated by another race of beings. Some call them "devils" or "demons." But they are down there. And they are waiting for us to find them. The world's armies respond to the threat and are slaughtered in the dark. But from the panic comes a new resolve.

Hell is real.

That sounds frackin' awesome :headbang:

0802142923.jpg

I will buy a copy of this book for anyone who is interested. Send me a PM if you are, I believe this is a book everyone should be REQUIRED to read. It's not any fun, that's right, but we still need to read it. Tim Flannery is an Australian scientist who never intended to become one of the leading "spokespersons" against our treatment of the planet but it seems he just couldn't ignore what he was finding.

I'll buy you a copy if the book if you really do intend to read it, and you have to have a discussion with me about it afterward so I know you did read it. RiA is automatically disqualified though because I don't want to have any discussions with him. :erk:

Holy crudmonkey. I was having a discussion with a co-worker earlier tonight about politics, environmental issues, etc..and he name dropped Flannery but couldn't remember the name of the book. He (and you) have surely has piqued my interest in this book.

started galilee by clive barker, but lost interest. waiting on barker's Scarlet Gospels.

think about reading the two final sequels to the Dune saga

Concerning Barker. His latest book Mister B. Gone was horrid. Concept was cool and the book got really good for 5 pages. Outside of those 5 pages it was some of the most annoying drivel I've ever read.