Books

I just started reading Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, and after reading ten pages, I'm hooked.

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that book is crap. First and foremost, it's a boring read. Second, it's about as deep as my anus for gay men (not deep at all).

Haha, I was going to post something to that effect, but couldn't be arsed. Besides, you phrased it better than I ever would/could.

@The yanks: If you're looking for a good dystopic novel, go for On the Marble Cliffs. It's sold out in english, but should be available in a library near you. It was written during Germany's nazi years and it took a while for the censorship to understand what it was really about and ban it. 1984 lacks poetic qualities, something which this one has in droves

Oh, and I'm almost finished with Karen Armstrong's Great Transformation: The Beginning of out Religious Traditions. A pretty quick but entertaining read, all though it doesn't offer much new in case you're somewhat acquainted with the subject in question. It's broad survey of the "Axial Age" (ca 900 to 200 BC, when religions such as buddhism, hinduism, judaism, zoroastrianism, the greek cults and the chinese ethical-metaphysical teachings was born), so it necessarily just scratches the surface on all the traditions mentioned.

I also have to praise her effort to see and find a common strand in all religions of this time (and consequently our own), even though it comes off as somewhat stretched at times.

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that book is crap. First and foremost, it's a boring read. Second, it's about as deep as my anus for gay men (not deep at all).

Honestly, I think that's as far as I got with that book. I know I didnt make it past 50 pages anyhow.

Weird, I thought the book was a universal classic....

Actually I just reserved it at the local library!

Awesome. I couldn't put it down once I started it. The first chapter is possibly the best prologue I've ever read.

BTW - did I mention one of the main character's name is Ali? :)

JK said:
Why buy books I say?

Hmmm....for cocktail party credibility? :loco:

In all seriousness - I almost always buy paperback, they're not that expensive and, I dunno, I guess I don't buy enough that they become a space problem or anything. Never really gave it much thought.

In all seriousness - I almost always buy paperback, they're not that expensive and, I dunno, I guess I don't buy enough that they become a space problem or anything. Never really gave it much thought.

Oh it's simply because I don't re-read them. Also, I used to buy books but they got expensive over the years (even paperbacks)...and of course the library is free.

Oh it's simply because I don't re-read them. Also, I used to buy books but they got expensive over the years (even paperbacks)...and of course the library is free.

Yeah, that seems logical - but since I never buy in bulk or anything, it just never really hit me as an expense that I needed to cut down on. I buy maybe on average around a book a month or so.

By the way, libraries sell their used books all the time. Every now and then they do book sales and everything costs $0.50 and most of it is "like new".

Obviously there is great value in this. I will say that most of my recommended reading comes from my father - who has about 10,000 books still in his collection after selling an absolute ton of them over the past few years on Ebay. I infinitely trust his opinions. So basically, I look for something specific when I go book browsing.

Good suggestion though. Living in isolation, I'm reading more these days, so perhaps I'll give it a shot.