Books

:tickled: Is this fucker's last name Patel by any chance?! Every fucking convenience store owner that I service, his last name is Patel.

Who the author of Life of Pi? Nah, he's Canadian. His name is Yann Martel. This book is SUPERB. It's already won the Man Booker Prize. I'm so glad NAD read it already because not having anyone to discuss it with was killing me. There is an entire section in the book raising discussion points.

As for the boy, Pi, why yes...his name is Patel. :D And he lasted 227 days shipwrecked at sea. Awesome awesome stuff.

The director of the film is the same guy who did Amelie and City of Lost Children. But make sure you read it before seeing the film.

Just finished Réne Guénon's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Modern-World-Guenon-Works/dp/0900588241/"]Crisis of the Modern World[/ame] -- the title speaks for itself I guess. So if you're realized that the world is in a spiritual crisis, I can't recommend this book enough. If you haven't realized it, then it might convince you otherwise, but chances are it wont tell you anything.

Eh, who am I preaching to anyway... :loco:

Hey MOOOSE, I just noticed that the third issue the Tyr journal is available -- have you had a look at it?

Just finished Réne Guénon's Crisis of the Modern World -- the title speaks for itself I guess. So if you're realized that the world is in a spiritual crisis, I can't recommend this book enough. If you haven't realized it, then it might convince you otherwise, but chances are it wont tell you anything.

Eh, who am I preaching to anyway... :loco:

Hey MOOOSE, I just noticed that the third issue the Tyr journal is available -- have you had a look at it?

hahaha I love that book

I think my copy is still lent out to this crazy old Catholic lady I know hahaha.

I need that new TYR journal. It's about freakin time they came out with a new one.

Today I bought:

0394823370.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Will probably read this during work tomorrow. :p Right now I'm designing Dr. Seuss magnets and mirrors for The Danbury Mint (that's where I work, i'm sure some of you in America have heard of them) and so I have to do a lot of research. Fun research. =D The Lorax being my favorite Dr. Seuss book, thought I'd pick up a copy for myself.

and

0618680004.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Been meaning to read this.

I also bought this for my sister, she's pregnant:

9780787996222_150X150.jpg

0802142923.jpg

I will buy a copy of this book for anyone who is interested. Send me a PM if you are, I believe this is a book everyone should be REQUIRED to read. It's not any fun, that's right, but we still need to read it. Tim Flannery is an Australian scientist who never intended to become one of the leading "spokespersons" against our treatment of the planet but it seems he just couldn't ignore what he was finding.

I'll buy you a copy if the book if you really do intend to read it, and you have to have a discussion with me about it afterward so I know you did read it. RiA is automatically disqualified though because I don't want to have any discussions with him. :erk:

Come on, no one is going to take me up on my offer here?

Come on, no one is going to take me up on my offer here?

Sorry. But in my defense there are some books on and around my desk that I haven't read yet:

A First Course in Partial Differential Equations with Complex Variables and Transform Methods
A Combinatorial Introduction to Topology
Tristram Shandy
Polywater
the original Moffats series
Nemesis & The Sorrows of Empire (with Blowback on the way)
Pier Fishing in California
The Rattle Bag
Salt of the Mountain: Campa Ashaninka: History and Resistance in the Peruvian Jungle
Teach Yourself Korean

1984 was fucking ace! What did you guys not like about? The vision of a boot smashing your face, forever?

First of all I found it too "event driven"; to me, a more philosophical approach would have been a lot more interesting, like Ernst Jünger so masterfully has portrayed the same subjects (and other related ones) in Eumeswil, On the the Marble Cliffs and to some extent in The Glass Bees. Secondly, or another aspect of the former perhaps, I found it too shallow, that is, it focused too much on the purely outer events. Now there's nothing bad in a thriller or suspense approach in it self, it's just that to me, it's not in anyway ideal to the subject matter at hand

Now go read some Jünger and lemme know what you think :p

Oh, and myself, I just started Ananda Coomaraswamy's What is Civilisation?

What made him [Coomaraswamy] a qualified as well as an acclaimed interpreter was his extensive knowledge, love, and understanding of the world’s diverse cultures, sacred scriptures, and languages. Coomaraswamy was credited with knowledge of thirty-six languages, as well as familiarity with the literature, poetry, and music of those languages.
:zombie:

I didn't think it was supposed to be that deep.... I just looked at the wikipedia article. That thing is massive :zombie:.