Books

MajestikMøøse;6955648 said:
Cambridge014s.jpg

I buy academic monographs for fun reading... does that make me weird?

Hm, what's his stand point or starting point? Is a theologian or just some litterature professor or other?

He's a literary interpreter, largely on biblical poetry. The main idea for the essay collection are papers of his that deal with textual ambiguity in Hebrew poetics, so... beauty and the enigma.

Aha, the title was kind of enticing so I had to know.

Anyway I'm anxiously awaiting this baby to arrive: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Critics-Enlightenment-Readings-Counter-Revolutionary-Tradition/dp/1932236139/"]Critics of the Enlightenment: Readings in the French Counter-Revolutionary Tradition[/ame] :kickass: (Where are the headbanging smilies with glasses?)

That does seem very cool indeed. It's actually available at the Royal Library here in Stockholm, but I just don't have to the time right now to read something like that :erk:

Will try to keep it in mind though

Over the past 3 weeks all I've read are multiple Calvin and Hobbes collections (the cartoon, not the dudes themselves :tickled: ) while pooping every morning.

Apparently I needed a break from the usual mindfuck books I occupy my time with. Although to be perfectly honest, it isn't exactly kid shit. I used to read them 20 years ago when I was a wee one, and can plainly see I missed a lot of the point back then.

I was almost late for work today because of a John Irving book. That fucker is too good for school.

Son of a Circus = Grand, and amusing.

if you're doubting. The works cock, balls, cunt, moist rim appear in it. As well as a crazy white chick waving a giant dildo-cock from a taxi in India.

Just finally got around to reading the God Delusion, and I'm not sure whether I'm an agnostic or an atheist anymore. I'll have to sit down and logic it past my natural skepticism.

They both are not mutually exclusive. I personally think it's a cop out to call oneself an agnostic mainly because it's just your thoughts on the given evidence whether you believe there is or is not a god(s). Then the term agnostic and gnostic are used to show how firm you are on the question.

As an example, I'm a gnostic atheist with regards to the specific gods, like Yahweh or Allah, but I'm fully an agnostic atheist with deistic or pantheistic god(s) or any other god that haven't been proposed yet. I just think there is no reason to even believe it when we have come up with theories and hypothesis about how we came to be on the earth, especially since most of these god(s) will not ever give us evidence.

I thought God Delusion is a pretty good introduction for atheism. It raises some good questions and lets people know not believing in god(s) is not something one does on a whim.

More dystopia for those interested, albeit based on reality: Andrei Platonov's "The Foundationpit" which I am currently enjoying. Tells the tale of an attempt to construct a proletarian house, but quickly turns into a scathing allegory of the stalinist system. Remind me a lot of Kafka in its grey splendor and absurd humor among all the tragedy

First time I've bought books in years: (and I have a lot of catching up to do on "classics", etc.)

Hunter S. Thompson - Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas: A Savage Journey To The Heart Of The American Dream
Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses
Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities
Jorge Luis Borges - Labyrinths
Fyodor Dostoevsky - Brothers Karamazov

Exciting!