Books

http://books.google.com/books/about/King_Solomon_S_Mines.html?id=izL_eNGDm-YC

king-solomons-mines-h-rider-haggard-paperback-cover-art.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Quatermain

Just finished the last Dark Tower book. And I frikken LOVED it. I don't know why I dropped the ball eight years ago, but... that's ka for ya.

The ending is PERFECT. For any fags who were disappointed or whatnot.... fuck you. You missed the point. And always will.

It's really the only way it could have possibly ended.

Can't wait to read the new one.* :kickass:

*which apparently takes place between Books IV and V

Actually, now that I've had some time to ponder, I’ve realized that a few things about this book really rustled my jimmies.

So, in an effort not to Pull A Swizzle, I’d like to announce that there are SPOILERS AHEAD.

1) Why was Flagg/Walter killed off so easily? This sets up Mordred as some kind of HUGE BADASS, and that there will be an EPIC SHOWDOWN at the end with huge implications to the ka-tet and...

2) ...he is killed quite easily after being fended off by a billy bumbler. What brought the end of this "little god"? A couple of bullets.

3) Speaking of anticlimactic showdowns: the Crimson King--whose power extends throughout the worlds, who has set in motion all these forces to destroy the Beams, who has had armies under his power for hundreds of years, who apparently possesses some kind of Mad Psychic Skills, an entity we have been anticipating for thousands of pages--ends up being a bomb-throwing Father Christmas who got stuck on a Tower balcony like a stoner who accidentally locks himself out of the house. How unimaginative can you possibly get? I didn’t have a huge problem with Danville’s erasing of him (though it was cheap as hell), but maybe it’s because I love Insomnia so much, and it makes that book even more important in the grand scheme of things. But still... this has got to be the anticlimax to end all anticlimaxes. Andy the Robot was more dangerous and terrifying than the Crimson King.

Luckily, King plans on re-writing each book (as he's already done with The Gunslinger). There is no question that the final three volumes were rushed as hell. But here’s my question: if he was SO WORRIED about not finishing the series before he died, yet was able to finish the first drafts of them, why didn't he sit back and make them PERFECT before publishing them? I mean... if he croaked during that time, AT LEAST he would die knowing there was some finished version of the story sitting on his desk, waiting to be published post-humously. WHY did he rush them out the way he did? WHY?

The best hope is that he pulls (makes) a Stand and re-writes the last three volumes and gives them the proper polishing they deserve. While on drugs. But he's already disappointed millions of captivated followers. Is he hoping we're all gonna re-read this shit 20 years down the road? That the "next generation" of readers will be ignorant of the cheap, unpolished shittiness of the things I listed above? Who the fuck knows. All I know is this: we readers deserved better, goddammit.

I have a feeling that the sequel to The Shining, which comes out early next year (Dr. Sleep), is gonna suck giant giraffe dick, and somehow find a way to ruin the first one.

Someone please respond. Anyone. Even dorian with a :lol:.

"Although the book does not gloss over the deaths of many, the most intensely emotional passages are reserved for enthusiastic fighting and for placid moments. The book has consequently been criticized for glorifying war, especially when compared to Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front. However Jünger was a combat soldier, who saw extensive front-line service. Remarque did not, and All Quiet on the Western Front is a work of fiction, not a memoir (Remarque was actually a sapper for only a few weeks near the front line).

In the preface to the 1929 English edition, Jünger stated that 'Time only strengthens my conviction that it was a good and strenuous life, and that the war, for all its destructiveness, was an incomparable schooling of the heart.'"

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Steel-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141186917/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342134710&sr=1-1&keywords=storm+of+steel[/ame]

518UYJxS0LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

"Unlike other writers identified with the 'Lost Generation,' he relished combat and made no apology for having dispatched scores of enemy soldiers."

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Scarlet-Fields-Combat-Memoir-Studies/dp/0700618422[/ame]

51LheJOX6HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And a similar style book, but Vietnam:

"Many Vietnam veterans look back in anger on their wartime experiences, but Fixler, who endured one of the bloodiest battles of the war, isn't one of them. The gruesome 77 days he spent defending an isolated hilltop near the border with North Vietnam forms the core of this nostalgic memoir."

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Semper-Cool-Marines-Memories-Vietnam/dp/0982518404/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=U[/ame]

Bonus: footage of the author killing some robbers in a gunfight in his jewelry store.

51J%2BFooVEqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally started reading that Conan the Barbarian collection by Robert E. Howard.

HOLY. LIVING. FUCK.

That dude was an amazing writer. I was hoping for fun, much like, you know, everything else Conan.

I didn't expect something so lyrical and poetic. Completely beautiful, didn't see that coming at all.

I should be reading that instead of eating my way through post-rehearsal insomnia.

Which edition are you reading? Looking to buy a copy but don't know if there's a preferred collection.

Which edition are you reading? Looking to buy a copy but don't know if there's a preferred collection.
Reading this one, I should get back into it too:

103969128.jpg

As far as I know it's all the original Howard stuff, including a Hyborian history thing at the beginning.

EDIT: Oh wait maybe not, I guess this one doesn't include everything??? Cool, more stuff to read!

Reading this one, I should get back into it too:

103969128.jpg

As far as I know it's all the original Howard stuff, including a Hyborian history thing at the beginning.

EDIT: Oh wait maybe not, I guess this one doesn't include everything??? Cool, more stuff to read!

I second this volume. And as you can see mine was BAARGGAINN PRIRRIICCED!!!o1en1!1one!1

A04sY.jpg

Pretty sure I got the $12.98 special as well. If books were priced according to quality it would cost $666 (plus tax).

Hearing of the movie is what reminded me I needed to read the book. That, and it's my friend's favorite book of all time (I trust his tastes more than anyone else on the planet). Yesterday he described it as "the least boring book ever written." So far, I agree.

Yeah, well, I already know how it ends, as do most readers of lit. It's like Rosebud in that way. But both (Anna and Kane) are so immense in their greatness that they're beyond mere spoilers. It's the journey, not the destination!

i get that. still, the less you know the better it is! sure you know when you're watching scorcese or something that 80-90% of the main characters are gonna get killed at the end, but how and by whom?!