Books

finished The Ruins by Scott Smith. creepy ass book. never saw the movie.
Good flick. Watched it in theater and again recently on Showtime or something. Worth it just to see Laura Ramsey and her perfect naked body.

@AWMM: I tried audible the other day and thought it was ok. I deleted the app but might try again.

so um... yeah
been reading\listening to a lot of stuff lately and wanted to discuss some...
I've actually just read a few books by Haruki Murakami (10-15 years ago it was such a buzz) and I can't see what so amazing about his stuff... megapolis influenced, philosophical wannabe, repetitive and not so impressive

Orphan Masters Son. I’m really enjoying this.

The Institute. Struggling to get through this. I haven’t truly enjoyed any King since maybe 1990. I’d have to think hard about it.

The Wall Street Journal *actual physical newspaper*. The first one came today. I love it. Reading a newspaper is extremely enjoyable. Fuck electronic shitz.

Currently making my way through the Black Company books (i've been reading the omnibus editions)--am on the third book. Very enjoyable dark fantasy--maybe the next tv series down the road?

Before that
Borne - Jeff Vandermeer
Like You'd Understand Anyway - Jim shepard (Anyone even remotely into short stories-should seek out all of his work)
Vernon Subutex 1 - Virginie Despendes

I started reading The Wheel of Time series last year, about to start book three. It's blowing my fragile little mind, and I've been told that it really doesn't even get good until the 4th book. Sometimes I drive to the middle of nowhere into the forest just to read several chapters of the series. Because dragons and trees and adventure and shit.

However, since I can't really concentrate on anything outside of work over the last month, so I've been catching up on years upon years of comic convention collecting. Currently going through Poison Elves and I have High Society on the docket. Plus I want to read The Watchmen again.

I read all of Hellboy (again) last year, but recently found another use for the collection:

Hellbass.jpg

Not sure if we have done a top list for books, but as of now this seems about right for me (first list not really in any order)

The rings of Saturn – WG Sebald
Seiobo there below – Laszlo Krasznahorkai
The Loser – Tomas Bernhard
The possibility of an island – Michel Houellebecq
Remainder – Tom McCarthy
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky -
Super Sad true Love Story – Gary Shteyngart
Mason & Dixon – Thomas Pynchon
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Shanghai Dancing – Brian Castro

HM: Baudolino – Umberto Eco
HM: Dear Cyborgs – Eugene Lim
HM: You think that’s bad – Jim Shepard [short stories]

Sci-fi/fantasy [more in relative order]

Book of the New Sun – Gene Wolfe
Dune series - Frank Hebert
Blindsight – Peter Watts
Altered Carbon – Richard K Morgan
Song of Ice & Fire - Grrm
Starfish – Peter Watts
The rapture of the nerds – Cory Doctorow
Riverworld series [specifically first three books] - Philip jose farmer
Perdido Street Station – China Mieville
Neuromancer – William Gibson

non fiction mostly centered around history - list pending if anyone is interested

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I started reading The Wheel of Time series last year, about to start book three. It's blowing my fragile little mind, and I've been told that it really doesn't even get good until the 4th book. Sometimes I drive to the middle of nowhere into the forest just to read several chapters of the series. Because dragons and trees and adventure and shit.

Are you liking the Wheel of Time? I gave up 1/3 of the way through book four. I realized I didn't care for any of characters and 90% of the time I wasn't enjoying. Just not for me I suppose.

Are you liking the Wheel of Time? I gave up 1/3 of the way through book four. I realized I didn't care for any of characters and 90% of the time I wasn't enjoying. Just not for me I suppose.
I am! I finished Book 3 and am need of a break though, so it'll be awhile before I start book 4. Read some Clive Barker and more Hellboy in the meantime, next up is a stack of things about cosplay and Joshua Tree (separate books).

A few characters annoy me at times, but I really dig the journey and the world itself. The imagery is quite immersive for me. I might be dead by the time I finish all the books, but hey, the author died before he finished writing them.

I could make a Top X book list but man that would be tough. The list is filled with Tolkien, Lovecraft, Rushdie, Vonnegut, Nabokov, and Kerouac.

Reactions: swizzlenuts
Read some Clive Barker

hell-yeah-brother-hell-yeah-brother-32063567.png

I'm still sticking to my opinion that The Brothers Karamazov is the greatest novel ever written. After years of badgering her to give it a go, my girlfriend finally picked it up last week. :kickass:

I adore Dostoevsky, but have yet to
I'm still sticking to my opinion that The Brothers Karamazov is the greatest novel ever written. After years of badgering her to give it a go, my girlfriend finally picked it up last week. :kickass:

Love Dostoevsky, but never read this shit. I own it, like I own a bunch of other novels I never could be arsed to crack open. Funny, that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to read 12 books this year. I'm at a current total of 3 (partial reads.) Atomic Habits (Meh self help drivel, mildly useful at best. More geared for early 20 somethings), Four Pillars of Investment (Been snail reading this for eons), Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans.