Books

4390750.jpg

^
this shit right there: it's good

Weird. A student was reading that Junger book today. Any reason it might have come back into popularity?

Been on a book spree of late. The theme? HORROR, baby!

Anybody read any of these?

THE KING IN YELLOW - Robert W. Chambers
TOMB OF DRACULA Vol. 1-3
HELL - Kathryn Davis
MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS: STORIES - Kelly Link
SOMETHING IN THE POTATO ROOM - Heather Cousins
TEATRO GROTTESCO - Thomas Ligotti
THE DARK EIDOLON AND OTHER FANTASIES - Clark Ashton Smith
MELMOTH THE WANDERER - Charles Maturin
GHOST AND HORROR STORIES - Ambrose Bierce
COUNT MAGNUS AND OTHER GHOST STORIES - M.R. James
THE GREEN MAN - Kingsley Amis
THE SETH MATERIAL - Jane Roberts
INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES - Algernon Blackwood

A ton, I bet.

I actually first heard of it (along with many of these) from Lovecraft's "Supernatural Horror in Literarture" essay. Sort of a road map for pre-20th century horror.

Just read the first two stories. GOLD, JERRY! Had no idea the city of Carcosa was popularized by Chambers (original idea came from Bierce). Really makes me want to re-listen to:
carcosa.jpg

excellent album

Carcosa was inspired by the South-Western French medieval citadel of Carcassonne, a lovely place.

Ordered C.A. Smith's and Ambrose Bierce's anthologies.

Other than that I've been on a huge Balzac roll for months. Such beautiful literature.

I've always wanted to check out some Ballsack. Where to begin? Best English translator?

I'm only familiar with one Bierce tale (I teach it every year), "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge." It's about a guy in the Civil War who gets hanged and "escapes," not realizing he's already dead. Basically, the whole thing is one big psychedelic death trip. Pretty sweet. My dumbass kids don't get it.

I've always wanted to check out some Ballsack. Where to begin? Best English translator?

I wouldn't know about an English translator. His body of work known as La Comédie Humaine is huge. I've seen people who recommend to read in in chronological order, others saying it doesn't matter. I went for the second option. My favorite novels so far are and The Wild Ass's Skin, The Chouans, Old Goriot and Lost Illusions. The Lily of the Valley is also a great book about love and the condition of noblewomen under the French Restoration, though extremely contemplative and descriptive.

Thanks for spoiling that Owl Creek tale :loco:

Cynics_Word_Book.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil's_Dictionary

Holy fuck this is my new favoUrite book. Absolutely hilarious!
Ambrose Bierce said:
RAILROAD, n.
The chief of many mechanical devices enabling us to get away from where we are to wher we are no better off. For this purpose the railroad is held in highest favor by the optimist, for it permits him to make the transit with great expedition.

TWICE, adv.
Once too often.

RANK, n.
Relative elevation in the scale of human worth.

He held at court a rank so high
That other noblemen asked why.
"Because," 'twas answered, "others lack
His skill to scratch the royal back."
--Aramis Jukes

:lol: etc.