Books

Also been reading stories from THE OCTOBER COUNTRY by Ray Bradbury. Equally spectacular (and creepy)

You won't regret it, especially if you dig Lovecraft*. HPL said that "The Willows" was the finest horror story ever written.

*(psssssst: Blackwood was actually the better writer, but don't tell 87% of the metal bands that)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Pretty good fantasy

Re-reading this atm, just for the hell of it.

I thoroughly enjoy this serious and am awaiting the third instalment.

Recently picked up books two and three of Jo Spurrier's Children of the Black Sun trilogy. Read the first while I had a broken foot late last year. Looking forward to getting into them after I finish Name of the Wind.

Patrick Rothfuss is a cool dude. And he can do death metal face quite well

F792737A-41F4-4E65-A81F-159AE1DBB4DB_zpslmsk84gi.jpg

Man, I liked NotW, but that character is a total Mary Sue. He ALWAYS WINS. And when he doesn't, it's because of circumstances he can't control. I sort of stopped caring after a while.

Plus, Rothfuss could not stop using the word "groused" for some reason. Annoyed the shit out of me!

Read DARK HARVEST by Norman Partridge. A small town's sinister yearly ritual, a killer pumpkinhead with a butcher knife and satire/humor galore (and gore). Voice-driven, quick-hitting, told from multiple viewpoints (including the monster's), with an emotional impact that makes the damn thing borderline literature.

DH3.jpg

Good books, music and movies = sun, water and soil for the soul.

Good books, music and movies = sun, water and soil for the soul.
Yes.

I've been slowly reading 2001: A Space Odyssey for a spell, along with random bits of Edgar Allan Poe. Sometime soon will be Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. I expect that to go well with my given psyche, fueling my own convictions even further.

Yes.

I've been slowly reading 2001: A Space Odyssey for a spell,

Arthur C. Clarke is probably my favorite author besides Lovecraft. Do you like this? I've never talked to someone else that's actually read the book.

Arthur C. Clarke is probably my favorite author besides Lovecraft. Do you like this? I've never talked to someone else that's actually read the book.
I do, I really do. The first few chapters made me reexamine humanity as a whole, oddly enough I think I see where Kaczynski formulated some of his ideas about the power process, pretty fascinating stuff. If I had to pick a #1 favoUrite movie, it would likely be 2001, so I should probably read the book at least a few times. I didn't realize that the novel and movie were created at the same time, pretty cool really.

Speaking of Author S. Named as such, this quote from Robert E. Howard belongs in this thread:
Conan the Cimmerian said:
Well, last night in a tavern, a captain in the king's guard offered violence to the sweetheart of a young soldier, who naturally ran him through. But it seems there is some cursed law against killing guardsmen, and the boy and his girl fled away. It was bruited about that I was seen with them, and so today I was haled into court, and a judge asked me where the lad had gone. I replied that since he was a friend of mine, I could not betray him. Then the court waxed wroth, and the judge talked a great deal about my duty to the state, and society, and other things I did not understand, and bade me tell where my friend had flown. By this time I was becoming wrathful myself, for I had explained my position.

But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot until I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied near by, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts.
Realmantalk.

I love Sci fi. The dune series is easily my favOrite ever, though I've never read anything else by herbert.

I want to read the odyssey series. I always see 2010, 2061 and the other one at the used book store, but never 2001. Based on summaries, it seems he took 2061 and the final one waaaaaay beyond with the starchild. Not sure I'd be into those two, but definitely the first two

As much as I loved the first Dune, I couldn't get into the rest. I gave up pretty quickly with the second book..........I have all kinds on the shelves though, some day!

Anybody read this dude? I never have, but considering my infatuation with things Lovecraft and Howard, I really should: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Ashton_Smith

I do, I really do. The first few chapters made me reexamine humanity as a whole, oddly enough I think I see where Kaczynski formulated some of his ideas about the power process, pretty fascinating stuff. If I had to pick a #1 favoUrite movie, it would likely be 2001, so I should probably read the book at least a few times. I didn't realize that the novel and movie were created at the same time, pretty cool really.

Check out Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama. They are the best Alien books I've ever read.