BOOSTING 6505+ WITH MAXON OD808?

Rusty123

Feb 2, 2007
UK
Hey everyone,

Can anyone give me some ideas for settings for amp and pedal to get some good metal grind. Arch enemy, Carcass tones?

I have been experimenting but am not really content with what I have got.

Cheers

Most people here would probably tell you that the od808 is about as straight forward as any pedal gets. Someone else's settings might get you in the ball park but your hands, guitar, pickups and cabinet/speakers will contribute to the tone your hearing as much as your amplifier settings.

I guarantee that if you invested a couple hours into using the search function you would come out with a handful of presets. :)

Volume and Tone at halfway (12 o'clock), and Gain at around 9 o'clock...that seems to be the best starting point for people when they try and tweak that pedal to their taste

C'mon guys... the settings are 100% depending upon THE GUITARIST (hard/soft attack etc), THE STRINGS (gauge/general tone), THE PICKUPS (active/passive, output level, distance from strings) and so on... there are no "magic settings" that will give you a certain sound.

A general starting point might be 9 o'clock or lower for the gain (or overdrive, or whatever it's called) control if you don't have a VERY weak signal from your guitar. Then set the output level to whatever level your amp likes, and IF NECESSARY tweak the highs with the tone knob. If you want more highs; add more. If you have to much; reduce. Just keep in mind that the use of the tone knob above 12 o'clock introduces more hiss to the signal. Your ears will tell you if it sounds good or not... if not, get another set. ;)

This is the one I use, btw:

TO800_medium.jpg

In fact, it sounds just as good as the TS9 I used to have, and it costs next to nothing.

You never know, the Maxon might or might not be right for your style. "The sound is in the hands." is a phrase I'll keep repeating till I die.

Currently, I'm working with a band that has a guitar player who falls under the "not" category. It sounds ok, but seems to accentuate too much of the 2K region for comfort. Swapping out the Maxon for an MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive fixed the problem. Both are excellent: the Maxon winds up on 99% of my projects. But, it's not for everyone's playing style. The MXR had enough of a subtle shift in texture to justify the swap.

One word of advice, though: If you're trying to get someone else's rhythm tone, stop right now. It ain't gonna happen. Carcass, Arch Enemy, Pantera, Megadeth and (old) Metallica have great rhythm tones because of the players. Not the gear. Personally, I've never heard the Pantera rhythm tone on anything that wasn't a record with Dimebag playing on it. Sure, you can try to "ballpark" it, but it'll still wind up sounding like you. Perhaps you should try to develop your playing technique to achive a great tone.

-0z-

Reactions: Gregg
One word of advice, though: If you're trying to get someone else's rhythm tone, stop right now. It ain't gonna happen. Carcass, Arch Enemy, Pantera, Megadeth and (old) Metallica have great rhythm tones because of the players. Not the gear.

this seems nonsensical... it's both. of course the gear matters...

Not nearly as much as you think it would. Perhaps I should clarify that statement a bit: Once you get the gear to a certain level, it really comes down to the player's technique. Sure, there's gonna be a huge difference between a 5150 into a nice Mesa cab vs. a Line 6 Spider. Or between a greenback, GT75 & a Vintage 30. But the essence of the sound comes from the player. Technique is everything. Swapping out a Recto head for a 5150 into the same cab is a pretty subtle tone shift. From your gear list, it looks like you've got both so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

To take this a little further: We're assaulted by marketing everywhere. "Buy this & improve yourself!" is the basic message. Usually though, the improvement comes from within.

Not nearly as much as you think it would. Perhaps I should clarify that statement a bit: Once you get the gear to a certain level, it really comes down to the player's technique. Sure, there's gonna be a huge difference between a 5150 into a nice Mesa cab vs. a Line 6 Spider. But the essence of the sound comes from the player. Technique is everything.

I understand how much and I disagree. Technique is not everything, it's a very, very important part, but discounting everything else is silly.

A crappy player WILL make good gear sound bad, but a good player alone will not sound good on bad gear.

This is what I was trying to get across. (Thanks, ST!) I'll try to word my statements better next time. I wasn't trying to discount the gear... It just seems we spend a great deal of energy obsessing over equipment & sometimes technique is ignored. At least that's been my experience dealing with some of the groups coming in & out of my studio. I've still yet to meet anyone who's got Dimebag's rhythm tone. Or Carcass'.

After reamping some really amazing players from around the world (most from right here on this board.... I'm greatful for the opprotunity, BTW.) using the same mics, pre's, amps, cabs, room, and even settings, the tonal shifts are pretty huge. Because of how the instrument is played. Yes, the gear is important. I wish it wasn't: My bank account would be much larger!

I understand how much and I disagree. .
"Mood Bender" is a suitable title, indeed.

I don't think you do understand. You're putting words into Oz's mouth. All he's saying is that having Dime's setup isn't going to get you Dime's tone.
A lot of people (including myself at one time) assume that if you buy xxx's equipment, then you'll sound like xxx. Not the case.

Well I agree with you guys.

To be honest I am not looking to sound like Carcass or Arch Enemy etc.

I am looking to achieve a certain sound from my existing setup that gives me an extra lift for recording and live etc.

To be honest I am not really digging the effect.

I have been playing for 18 years give or take a year. I am a very experienced player and teacher. And have always been very happy with my tone.

As I have ventured into recording more and more over the last few years I have been looking to experiment with new tonal possibilities. And I have found I have liked the effect of boosting on other people I have recorded and played with, but for me it doesnt seem to be working. I find it easier to play without one.

Am I an Alien? or should I try another pedal etc?

:headbang: