BOOSTING 6505+ WITH MAXON OD808?

I think Dimebags tone is quite impossible to get these days, Ive not heard anything close to it before....better tones maybe but not the same.

Rusty, I know what you mean,

Krank, Mesa, ENGL and Peavey seem to be the most popular for AE/Carcass/SYL type sounds. Or...combined. Pedal wise id have thought any pre-amp overdrive thats respectable would help tighten things up. Im using a Malmsteen YJM DOD308 pre amp overdrive in front of my Mesa just to add a little something and tighten up the low end. It cost me....err about £70 when I got it and I saw a shop selling it for £26 the other day!! *kills self*.

What im attempting to say is any kinda TS thats not a disgracefully cheap job could help, the amount of help depends on which model I guess. The guys here seem to favour that 808, so I wouldnt discourage anybody from giving it a bash.

Afterall we are on the Andy Sneap forum, who DID the latest AE etc, we are all looking for simlar things. Nobody can say they wouldnt want Arch Enemy's tone/secrets! So people shhhh and give some advice :p

You can never go wrong with a 5150 + 808 :)

As you can tell im rather board! :Smokin:

Well I am using a 5150 and 6505+ with maxon od 808 and Im not that bothered if the maxon is on or off to be honest.

I can hear a slight difference but nothing major and I cannot decide if the slight difference the maxon is making is an improvement.

Should I adjust my amp settings when adding the pedal to the chain?

I often record with the Vol=12:00 Drive=7:00 (Low as possible) and Tone=2:00 or 3:00 depending on the OD and then adjust amp for a nice bite and liquid feel.

Well I have recorded some di tracks so Im gonna reamp them and tweak while they play through to see if I can sort this out.

:headbang:

I have a 6505+ and I haven't been able to get into boosting. I've tried a few times, and I just don't think it sounds good. It boosts the mids/upper mids and seems to take away some bass...Which for a 6505+, I think makes it too "honky". I end up turning up the bass and lowering the mids, thus seemingly negating the effects of the boost in the first place. But, I've only boosted with cheap TS clones, the TO800 and Ibanez TS5's. Maybe I should just spring for a nice one. I still doubt I'd dig it, though.

Yeah I am feeling the same way.
To be honest I use quite a bit of mid on the amp anyway so maybe thats why I am not really liking it myself.
I mean I hear the difference but I can do without it.

The pedal however sounds nice as a stand alone overdrive pedal.

If I turn down the gain and the mid on the amp and then use it makes more of a difference, but I would rather not mess with the settings that already sound good.

Boosting the amp is not a must im my opinion. I do fine without and Fredman uses the 5150's without as well I heard....Depens on what youre after as well. I like the fatness of the 5150. With a boost pedal you get a tighter tone but also loose some of the signature fatness of the 5150(only judging by samples/records as I never used a boost pedal)

I use an Od808 in front of my 5150 all the time & wouldn't be without it but My fellow Guitarist prefers not to, the problem is you won't notice any difference Tonaly untill you get the volume up above 2 when you're just starting to drive the amp.
Admittedly like a few others on here have said you won't get the pure Carcass Tone but it can get you pretty close.

Try setting your amp up > Lead channel - Pre gain 4/5, Bass 7, mid 2/3, treb 4/5, post Gain 3/4, res 7, pres 7.

And the maxon Drive 9 o'clock, Tone 10 o'clock, level 12 o'clock.

Then tweak it from there that'll give you a good place to start. :headbang:

Hey guys,

my settings are roughly,

Lead channel

Pre 6
Bass 7
Mids 6-7
Treb 4
Post 2-3
Res 6-7
Pres 4-6

And I am finding the maxon does not make a positive difference to these settings. If I take the pre down to 3-4 then I can hear the maxon working but it does not sound as nice as my normal settings without it.

I am wondering if maybe when I reamp and use it in a recording session it will come into its own; as I would not use as much pre gain when quad tracking tracks as it gets messy and this will help to add the extra dirt while keeping the takes tight.

try it on the rhythm channel instead, you get more bite and tightness, but still with plenty of fatness, my setting are (5150 mark 1)
rhythm
gain 6
bass 7
mid 5.5
treble 6
resonance, 7
prescence 5

volume is normally around 4.25

808 is on drive 10 oclock, tone 8-9 oclock, volume 10 oclock

A guitar tone on the record (Carcass, Arch Enemy, etc.) has also been processed all the way to mastering, so getting any tone close to the record would be impossible.:lol: The key to getting a "wall" of bitchin tone is to double your tracks "tight." Then have your tracks mixed by Colin/Andy.:lol: I always start with the gain/eq on the amp at 12 O'clock. All three settings on the 808 at 12 o'clock, and tweak from there.

How many of these are you going to resurrect? Holy hell...

Anyway, using the gain on the pedal isn't 'uhh, dumb' - it's another choice that can be made. You'll get more compression with less grit because of the TS circuit design, so for a more compressed but less fizzy tone the pedal's gain can be very useful.

Jeff

I still love my SD-1! I'm running it with level at max, drive at around 8.30 o'clock, tone around 9 o'clock. Running it into a Peavey Valveking, with amp gain at around 9.30 o'clock, and it's giving me a pretty good Sworn To A Great Divide type sound, very dry and gritty, with masses of punch, I love it! Cuts like nothing I've ever heard before, and it just makes me grin that so many people write these amps off was too easily ;)

I'd say to achieve a more Michael Amott esque sound, I'd use a bit more gain, or indeed, a 6505+ on roughly the same settings.

EDIT:- I didn't notice this thread was a year old... :loco:

I prefer my digitech bad monkey, and have the sd-1 and maxon od-9 too.
they all sound good and not really that much different.

can't wait when my 2 channel triple recto comes back from repair, just got it from ebay, but a couple of tubes got busted in transport, seller didn't package them seperately.

technique is everything, yes.

I think you can compared it too handwriting, everybody has a different one too.

How many of these are you going to resurrect? Holy hell...

Anyway, using the gain on the pedal isn't 'uhh, dumb' - it's another choice that can be made. You'll get more compression with less grit because of the TS circuit design, so for a more compressed but less fizzy tone the pedal's gain can be very useful.

Jeff

that will make his tube 6505 sound solidstate