Borknagar - Origin? rofl...

NFU

I like pie.
Jan 9, 2002
Southern California
www.myspace.com
i just read this review of this album in a magazine, and i found it funny enough to repeat here. mainly because i couldnt agree more...

"Black metal unplugged? Please plug it back in!
Like their norse brethren Ulver, Borknagar have always toyed with the pretenses of black metal, and on their latest album Origin, they abandon them alltogether in favor of acoustic guitars, violins, and uh...bamboo flutes. And the songs-with titles like "Grains", "Oceans Rise", "The Spirit of Nature" and "Earth Imagery"-seem to be about the total awesomeness of the natural world. The result is somewhere between the Bambi soundtrack and an interpretive-dance version of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, only instead of taking money from the rich to give to the poor, our man uses the money to buy weed, get stoned to the bejesus belt and write songs about how rad Sherwood Forest is at sunset-especially if you happen to have a bamboo flute and, like, brain damage." 1/5

So my question is...did anyone enjoy this album? i couldnt get through the 2nd song.

i deleted it after the second attempt ot listen to it. personally, the music was ok, although i cant say i like the sound of a fretless bass with the sound they were trying to acheive. But mostly, Vintersorg's voice totally ruined everything.

So my question is...did anyone enjoy this album? i couldnt get through the 2nd song.

I did enjoy the album, in fact, I actually found it to be what I consider the first successful purely acoustic translation of heavy music in some ways.

There are some moments on this album which are remarkably executed and despite being "unamplified", close inspection of areas of this album make you realise that it is infact "heavy" because of the structural aspects of the composition.

Give it another go: there's a LOT of work and detail on this record, it is a very fine piece of work and comes off very organic, even lush lush in places. It deserves the studious and analytical ear of a true music lover, its not a piece of work for the casual listener or someone who wants a "quick fix listen" by picking out the catchy parts.

Highly recommended, be patient with it Joey, it will pay off.

I was really anticipating this album, cause they usually have beautiful clean sections in their songs, but nothing about it besides the chorus of the new Oceans Rise did anything for me. I couldn't get over how cheesy the flute sounds :( I'll take something like Tenhi over this album any day, but maybe I'll give this another chance sometime.

tehni is quite superior id say. im through song 4 right now of my 2nd time through with this, and its still not doing anything for me. the older Ulver, Empyrium, October Falls, Uaral, and Tehni all trump this imo.

They're all great bands, but forgot those bands: absorb this as its own expression, treat it as a work of its own right. Don't compare it to other works, it is not taking the same approach as they did.

As we do with different kinds of metal, we must do the same with different kinds of acoustic music: treat them separately.

Take special note of "Human Nature", imo the standout song on the album. A chorus of all instruments, usage of vocals, the texture of the cello, and what almost seems like Pizzicato of violins is fucking mindblowing.

Listen to this particular song LOUD.

These kinds of characteristics lends Origin an almost Romantic personality.

I'd recommend listening to this album while taking a long walk along some cliffs or something if you can. Thats what I did, and it helped Origin to make perfect sense.

This is a review of this album that I wrote before it's actual release. It was posted on the Borknagar forum.

Im not claiming to be the be-all and end-all here, but what I wrote might help people absorb the album better.

I have found the overall reaction to the album very disappointing, not because I think I'm right, but because things on Origin have been done in a way which completely avoids the past and somewhat "amateur mistakes" that many bands have made when making acoustic albums utilising Western Art instruments.

In short, I find it extremely obvious that Origin has been VERY deeply thought through and brilliantly executed. It is an album of multiple layers, it requires multiple listens to absorb.

Excellent album. I'll expand on this comment in a sec... I've been thrashing it since yesterday.

EDIT:

Sidenote: I'm a big fan of Vintersorg, his vocals are beautiful, but in recent years, I have felt his work has been getting experimental in ways which aren't really productive, most noticably in his vocal delivery and usage of keyboards (simplistic structures and terrible chosen effects).
His vocal work is best when he delivers sustained lines, not breaking them with falsetto (and I'm sorry, but his falsetto isn't one which sounds good because of his kind of mid-range natural voice). I wish he would concentrate more on his lower and middle registers, because his are fantastic and he has more power at this range too.

... don't worry though - he most certainly delivers on Origin!

Also of note is Asgeir's outstanding contribution to drums on this album: he's been known for some time as one of Metal's better drummers, but this time we see him playing with more feeling, a slower and more creative pace. The results are fantastic.

Borknagar's music definitely has a unique style (I wish I knew the "technical" musical expressions to use). Brun has a writing style which is reminiscent of early Ulver in some respects and he does what he does well. He certainly has a unique stamp that is recognisable.

The usage of Western Art string instruments on Origin is very well done: over the years, I've noticed that when a band tends to use them, a string section constantly seems to be there for more aesthetic reasons, as opposed to actually providing proactive participation or another voice to the music.

Origin does not fall prey to this. The cellos and violins actually drive the melodies on this album, which I feel for metal is actually quite a remarkable achievement. There are so many moments where I could hear that songs could be played entirely on a string ensemble and I think this factor is very deserving of a nod to Brun in respect.

Take for example "Human Nature", track 7 on the album: the chorus utilises an old technique (by Western Art Music standards but new for metal given the instruments used) of using short quick bowing strokes in conjunction with acoustic guitars to imitate heavy riffing common in metal. I think this is a very imaginative idea for an acoustic metal album and definitely applaudable - it creates a dramatic moment in the song, and most importantly provides us with what I truly feel is the first ever heavy entirely acoustic metal song.

For once on an acoustic metal album, the traditional "rock" instruments take a back seat, and the older instruments have an opportunity to drive the momentum of compositions on the album, and also provide a second or third voice for Borknagar to work with.

The album is actually quite complex, but I don't think the "average" metal listener is going to pick this up unless they have adequate experience with Baroque or classical music. Origin is an album of intelligence.

The acoustic version of Oceans Rise is a beautiful rendition of a Borknagar classic. They have not only produced an acoustic "version", but it seems the song has been completely re-written to take advantage of different usage of instruments while keeping the feel of the original composition. Very well done.

I've been thrashing this album. The more I listen to it, the more I hear - it is intricately layered. I think the approach to this album taken by the band is a very intelligent one, you can really hear that a LOT effort and thought has gone into this work.

I will definitely add this album to my collection when it is released. Fantastic work and a fresh breath of air.

I've always found that a reviewer with a decent command of the language can open my mind to possibilities in an album that I would never have seen myself. I'll check this out later, as the tracks I sampled on myspace a couple of months ago did not prompt the kind of response Hubster is talking about here.

Another acoustic album that metal fans seem to perpetually shit on is Drudkh's latest effort. I've only listened once, and only in MP3 form, but I found the album to contain much more substance than the "dueling banjos" and "one loser with an acoustic guitar playing on one string" type of comments I've heard on various UM forums

Reactions: Hubster
^^ Agreed, good post Demilich.

Public response to Songs of Grief and Solitude have been really annoying me.

It seems that people just won't let go of Ulver/Empyrium/October Falls, Uaral/Tehni acoustic works and base all acoustic metal releases against those.

Acoustic albums are by no means easy to digest, but when a metal band make acoustic music we CAN NOT approach the work in the same way as their metal releases.

Many people on this forum just DON'T seem to get this (and no Joey, I'm not taking about you man).

(Do people here expect a Damnation styled album everytime they think someone is going to do an acoustic album? Because Damnation BARELY makes the criteria for an acoustic album imo.)

Many people have said that Drudkh's latest is utter garbage, but I think that inspite of approaching it differently, their end result strongly captures their core characteristics. They continue to use unorthodox scales, they continue to retain their texture and warmth in their music.

If anything, Songs of Grief & Solutide is probably a more accurate representation of what Drudkh is really about. It captures their colour and texture in a more concentrated representation of any other work they have done. If people can not recognise this, they are not listening to the album properly.

I almost feel that in some ways, Songs of Grief & Solitude is like a "prologue" to their Black Metal catalogue, it perfectly "introduces" it and complements it". I'd almost recommend people listen to Songs of Grief & Solitude before listening to other Drudkh works.

I assume I'm included in those people who you think don't get it. I'm going at this album strictly as a mellow/folky/whatever album. You say not to judge it against bands that have done similar albums, but I don't see how that is valid at all. Borknagar obviously had similar influence that bands like Ulver and Tenhi have/had, and there are many similarities in the sounds... BUT if you don't want people to compare them, or compare it to their normal albums, then as an album IN GENERAL it just doesn't do it for me. I really expected that I'd love the album, but I just can't say I do. I'm glad you enjoy it, and I wish I felt the same way about it, but for music with this kind of atmosphere and sound I personally feel there are other albums I could turn to that affect me more. Who knows, maybe in a year I'll put this album on and love it, its happened tons of times, we'll see :)