BOSS Compressor/Sustainer

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
At practice last night, group of younger kids hanging out....One kid asks if I'll trade him a compressor/sustainer for some beer....I tell him to keep the pedal, and that I can't provide enough beer to make up for probably a $80 pedal. So him and his friends start diving into my beer, and sure enough the kid just comes in and gives me the pedal. Fuck it, I say!

Anyone use this thing? Is it any good? I haven't tried it and I'm sick as a dog so I'm not sure when I'll get to try it out. I'd think it'd be good mostly on cleans....but does it hold up to say a dbx rack compressor or anything like that?

I have had that pedal for years, still have it somewhere. Never found any good use for it. It's a real tonekiller if you ask me. Trying it as a sustainer for leads, the sound gets really weird, nasal is the best description maybe. Tried all kinds of settings, never worked for me. Maybe I have a faulty unit I don't know, just try it yourself. I'd keep the beer. ;)

Hmm just checked some Youtube videos of it. Ill have to try it for myself. and I figure......I may have lost like $15 in beer. But I could turn around and sell the pedal for probably $50.

According to a bunch of people, this pedal is noisy and a tone killer. Bummer. Would this be something to run in front of an amp or in the FX Loop? Will give it a whirl and report back.

In front definitely. And I heard the Behringer knock off is nowhere near as shitty as the Boss original. There's always quality alternatives if you're willing to spend (the Diamond Compressor comes to mind).

Well, tried it out at home on a tiny practice amp. Meh. For cleans it's hugely noticeable. I kinda dig it in that aspect, but I hardly do any clean work in our band. Maybe I'll give it a shot at practice tonight on the 5150 and see how it does for leads.