Bought something on ebay, seller declared package as gift...

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
and now the package is stucked at my national customs.

i didn't ask him to do that or whatever.

are they any consequences for me ?
should i declare anything or follow what the seller declared ?

a bit confused on that one.

I'm pretty sure when an item is declared as a gift, you give up quite a few rites around possible disputes and things like credit card purchase protection. They do it to save themselves some fee's, but in the end they make out and the buyer gives up some protective rites.

I may be wrong, but I recently read a thread where this subject came up.

In most cases I've seen it recommended that the buyer not enter into an agreement where the sale is listed as a "gift" and if possible offer to cover some of the fees if they really want to buy the product. The purchaser looses nothing, but the buyer gains protections.

Sometimes when you declare an item as a gift the customs won't pick it up and thus you don't have to pay the customs, but AFAIK that rarely works anymore, at least here. If it's stuck at the customs office, they're probably going to charge you the fees anyway, so just tell them you never asked the seller to mark it as a gift and pay up.

also, taxes!

people with ebay stores or paypal related businesses are beginning to be taxed on an annual basis. also check out gift taxes (it may be relevant).

i don't know how legitimate this is yet but it's becoming LAW sooooooo, yea.