Boycott the Osbournes

someone want to clue me in on this "core" thing? i was under the impression that if something had metal at its core, it was pretty metal. as in the core being the heart of the entity, it would comprise the deepest and most vital portion. would not then, metal-core be music whose soul is most metal?

in short: genres are meaningless.

Silent Song said:
someone want to clue me in on this "core" thing? i was under the impression that if something had metal at its core, it was pretty metal. as in the core being the heart of the entity, it would comprise the deepest and most vital portion. would not then, metal-core be music whose soul is most metal?

in short: genres are meaningless.

Core refers to hardcore. In terms of mainstream musical trends, nu-metal has slid out, and metalcore is becoming more popular. Bands that are heavily influenced by hardcore, but also have some metal riffs, and often solos (as in the case of Shadows Fall). Sometimes they can be considered metal, sometimes they're more hardcore than metal.

Silent Song said:
there seems to be an inconsitency of validity here. you raise bands you haven't heard? what then can be said of your judgment of those you earlier dissed?

I mean I don't know them as in I don't have any of their albums or know them enough to want to go see them perform. From the music I've heard from them, they have a fairly original sound.

mtlheart said:
Dude get a grip.
In Flames isn't a bad band. Whether you like gothenburg or not they're pretty good at what they do.

In Flames have taken to copying KoRn's sound recently, I don't see what it has to do with Gothenburg.

Shadows Fall are Thrash, not ***core of any kind. I think they're the best new Thrash band going right now.

Shadows Fall are metalcore. I don't know what else to say.

You do, as AngraRules suggested, seem to think that Progressive is the only metal genre worth listening to, and Power is tolerable.

While I highly enjoy progressive music, I know a good bit about all metal genres, as well as outside metal. Or I've been cycling through genres for two years now, so I would like to think I know something. I'm not a huge fan of the melo-death sound, but my favorite melo-death album would be Darkane - Rusted Angel, and I prefer it to the old In Flames sound. As a whole I prefer brutal death metal to melo-death, or at least melodic death metal without the gothenburg sound. The Cryptopsy tour was my favorite tour of this year.

Barking Pumpkin said:
In Flames have taken to copying KoRn's sound recently, I don't see what it has to do with Gothenburg.

Dude, seriously, don't even go there... In Flames does not copy KoRn style... Cut it out...

Barking Pumpkin said:
Shadows Fall are metalcore. I don't know what else to say.

Way more metal than hardcore, just their riffs and solos SHIT on many Prog bands out there, whether you agree or not.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Core refers to hardcore. In terms of mainstream musical trends, nu-metal has slid out, and metalcore is becoming more popular. Bands that are heavily influenced by hardcore, but also have some metal riffs, and often solos (as in the case of Shadows Fall). Sometimes they can be considered metal, sometimes they're more hardcore than metal.

I will have to repeat what he said.... genres ARE meaningless.

AngraRULES said:
Barking, this year there was at least 6 good bands at Ozzfest... Don't be so drastic.

:cool: I agree!! I just went to the Houston show and thoroughly enjoyed Rob Zombie, Mudvayne (what a GREAT bass player!!), Zakk Wylde, Velvet Revolver (the BEST of the 4 times I have seen them) and Sabbath. I dunno which Ozzy other people have been seeing, but he was VERY good Saturday!! His voice was clear and loud (I can understand him sing, but not talk!!) and the band was tight. The sound was the best at the Woodlands I have ever heard it. Other than a few heat prostitutes, it was a GREAT show!!

Anyone here is free to boycott Ozzfest. As long as they keep putting quality bands up at a reasonable price, I'm gonna keep rockin'!!

BTW, how come I haven't heard anyone condemn the assholes that actually THREW the eggs at Maiden that were handed to them by Shraron and Kelly personally?? :cool:

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

Oh yeah, I forgot Mudvayne and Velvet Revolver (though I know for a fact there's people in this board that will bash Mudvayne without even having heard the band... talk about wide minds eh?)

At the Hartford Ozzfest Ozzy was great as well! Whoever says he's a vegetable deserves to be turned into one...

Compared to last year, it was pretty obvious that Ozzy is falling apart. The Houston show was good, but I've heard several reports from different newspapers that Ozzy was having trouble singing or his doctor saying he can't do a show that night. Ozzy was certainly no vegetable but this is the first time I've seen him where it looked like the show was killing him.

Barking Pumpkin said:
and what then, is "hardcore". seems to me that the word implies something deeply intent or immersed in its message or goals.

AngraRULES said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Mudvayne and Velvet Revolver (though I know for a fact there's people in this board that will bash Mudvayne without even having heard the band... talk about wide minds eh?)
i like those bands too.
as well as bands i'm sure members of ultimatemetal would laugh at, but that's their loss. :)

Hardcore is a more aggressive form of punk, often characterized by simplistic punk-based riffs and breakdowns.

I think it is funny, how people are this board argue over stupid shit like this. Just agree to disagree, everyone has their own opinions. Damn the fucking music snobs!! Besides if its not Power, it aint worth a damn!! j/k

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
everyone has their own opinions. Damn the fucking music snobs!!
precisely my point. who cares about genre classifications? who cares about reviews or other's opinions? there are, in my opinion, but 2 true genres of music, and they are personally subjective:
Good music
Bad music

of course this has all been said many times, but few ever realize what it means. real music fans can appreciate any genre's high points (and thus rendering genres meaningless borders which can be as invisible as necessary). arguing about which band sold out, which band is more metal, or which band is too core, is all pointless. there are millions of bands on this planet, and every one of them has at least one fan to which they are in the former category above. so why are we fighting over whose opinion is more valid?

Silent Song said:
precisely my point. who cares about genre classifications? who cares about reviews or other's opinions? there are, in my opinion, but 2 true genres of music, and they are personally subjective:
Good music
Bad music

of course this has all been said many times, but few ever realize what it means. real music fans can appreciate any genre's high points (and thus rendering genres meaningless borders which can be as invisible as necessary). arguing about which band sold out, which band is more metal, or which band is too core, is all pointless. there are millions of bands on this planet, and every one of them has at least one fan to which they are in the former category above. so why are we fighting over whose opinion is more valid?

And don't forget: Kreator rocks.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Genres are quite indeed tangible and defineable. People who just say "meh, it's whatever and you can't define it" annoy me. You so can define genres, and there are few things that actually don't fit with some description. It's true that good music is good music regardless of genres and such, but it doesn't mean you can't say definitely something is *this.*

There is a point to genres. While "good" or "bad" music is completely subjective, genres are an objective way of classifying music.