Brainstorm Guitarsolo's

Ekib

New Metal Member
Sep 24, 2001
First of all I would like to say that Brainstorm is a brilliant band.One of the better metalbands I have heard in the last years.Their songs are very well arranged,the vocals are incredible and the drums are good also.
Than when it comes to the guitarparts I must say the riffs and twinsolo's are very good.
The only thing I am not crazy about are the guitarsolo's.In my opinion Brainstorm plays metal in the style of bands like Savatage and Judas Priest.They are not the same offcourse but I could put them in their league.However these before mentioned bands do have great leadguitarplayers.And that's something I am missing in Brainstorm.The solo's aren't really bad but they aren't brilliant either.They are rather simple.I can tell the 2 guitarplayers simply aren't leadguitarplayers.That's nothing bad but I think Brainstorm should add a great leadplayer to the band.Than they will move on to the "Premier league" of metal.
Now I much rather sometimes don't hear a solo than the simple ones they have now.They annoy me because I know the songs could sound so much better.A guitarplayer like Al Pitrelli would do miracles to the Brainstorm songs.

Don't think I am trying to put the band down by this post.I am just interested to see if there are people with the same opinions as I do_Or maybe everyone else thinks the solo's are great.Who knows.

I agree that the guitar solos are not very varied in Brainstorm, still I don't think they're that bad.

You're probably right about having a real soloist in the band, thing is that Brainstorm's music is based on a certain kind of riffs, and I wouldn't replace Torsten or Milan by a shredder.

I think it´s the typical style of Brainstorm: riff oriented melodic power-metal!

And imo the solos just fit to it...They underline the vocals, which are the most characterisic part of this great band :cool: :headbang:

Of course the solos could be faster or more complex...I am a guitarist, too and I really like fast stuff like steve vai (who isn´t just fast :cool: ) or john petrucci, but as I said, that´s not the Brainstorm-style!

btw.: Try Symphorce, their music is similar to BS (maybe because they have the same singer :D ), but they actually play great solo lines (Cede rules :worship: )

Ok...I was going to come back and reply to this post...but you guys took the words right out of my mouth! Very well put Fang and Gim! As said... Brainstorm is already so complex in their musical arrangements and vocals that there is no need for complex guitar solos as it would take away from the song...the style that it is played in at this time is what works for this killer band...if you do too much of one thing it takes away from the other :err: as simple as that. I am not a musician so I cannot get technical, but I sure do know my music.

You ask why they are not big...or say that they COULD be bigger...well, there are many factors there...including promoting, record label, radio etc...I don't have to tell you "what sells" nowdays...we know that in this time and age of disposable music bands come and go...and BRAINSTORM is one of the bands that is STAYING...as all their efforts are solid, consistent and just plain METALICIOUS!

Enough said...that aside, just enjoy them :headbang:

Well said.
I think that the solos fit the songs.
I don't think the are underplayed or overplayed.
Brainstorms music is all about the songs, not about the guitar player or any one member.