brand new movie thread

I'd go see that but I just don't know if I can watch a Matt Damon film without Ben Aflac.

aflac.jpg

charlie & the chocolate factory in imax might be worth a look. i gotta check to see if they're running that here. just don't get drunk beforehand or you'll vomit on some 9 year old girl who doesn't like that.

that's unfortunate. can you elaborate?

i saw "city of god" last night. (yeah, yeah, i know i'm late). REALLY well directed/cinematographered. the acting wasn't very good (even through the portuguese i could tell that) so it made perfect sense when i found out afterward that most of the actors were not "actors" but real street dudes. ultimately the story was really good, although there were some seriously puzzling screwups (they just dropped the whole angelica thread, for example, with nary a word).

overall, very good film.

Brothers Grimm: lots of poor acting and/or chewing the scenery and a very inconsistent plot/storyline. It looked nice, but the substance seemed kinda cobbled together. Lots of jokes at the expense of the French tho.

Ong-Bak: Thai Warrior

decent. Good fight scenes, terrible story, acting, music, and everything else. Worth watching for the acrobatics alone.

Kung Fu Hustle

Really fun unrealistic cartoony martial arts movie. It was quite funny and consistently entertaining.

Oldboy

Fantastic psychological drama with some rather well done fight scenes. Man is imprisoned for 15 years by an unknown captor for unknown reasons, so he goes on a hunt to find out who did it to him when he is set free.

Straw Dogs

Incredible movie. Just watch it if you haven't. Fantastic acting, pacing, setting, directing... this one is just a superbly crafted movie. It's about what it takes to make a peaceful man turn into a violent bloodthirsty maniac, at least on some of the levels.

xfer said:
that's unfortunate. can you elaborate?

i saw "city of god" last night. (yeah, yeah, i know i'm late). REALLY well directed/cinematographered. the acting wasn't very good (even through the portuguese i could tell that) so it made perfect sense when i found out afterward that most of the actors were not "actors" but real street dudes. ultimately the story was really good, although there were some seriously puzzling screwups (they just dropped the whole angelica thread, for example, with nary a word).

overall, very good film.

I think it's damn near perfect. I'm going to see the new film from the same director, The Constant Gardener, tonight.

Wedding Crashers: actually saw this with my parents, which was mildly horrifying, however it was a surprisingly good movie, I wasn't really sure how they were going to keep the interest going for very long, but somehow they kept it from being a one joke movie. Very Funny. Will Ferrell's bit is fantastic.

Owen Wilson is clearly the straight man, so it doesn't really matter if he's that funny or not, Vince Vaughn was the one meant to produce the laughs, aside from which I just thought the movie as a whole was funny, not one person in particular. The writing was good.

It seems like an utter waste to use Owen Wilson for a straight man. Especially because his style of comedy is really based in deadpan delivery, which kind of ruins using him as a straight man anyway.

LuminousAether said:
Straw Dogs

Incredible movie. Just watch it if you haven't. Fantastic acting, pacing, setting, directing... this one is just a superbly crafted movie. It's about what it takes to make a peaceful man turn into a violent bloodthirsty maniac, at least on some of the levels.
Most definitely one of my favourite movies, top five material for sure. That theme just speaks to me for some reason (though I find the whole power dynamics between the male and female roles very disturbing...). And as you say, superbly crafted! I remember hearing on the commentary track that the very first scene in the movie, where you see a pack of children circling around and taunting a small dog, pretty much foreshadows what happens later on.

From what I've heard of it, Cronenberg's next movie will center around the same themes. I really can't wait to see his take on'em.

Saw Metropolis (yes the newer one) yesterday, and was really surprised by how fun it was to watch. Fantastic soundtrack and CGI more than compensated for the patchy script.

Also The Raven and Saturday Night, Sunday Morning over the last week. Damn, the British new wave (Cathy Come Home, Kes, A Taste of Honey etc.) rocked.