Brave Words & Bloody Clueless

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I would like to offer some comfort to those of you who read, and were subsequently depressed by the review that appeared on the "Brave Words" web site regarding Angel Dust's forth coming release of "Of Human Bondage".

"Of Human Bondage" bares very little similarity to the description given by the Brave Word's reviewer. This CD is hardly "techno" or "industrial". It owes more, by way of influence, to Nevermore, than it does to Faith No More. And while Angel Dust has tweaked some things here and there, from the opening track to the final track, this is clearly an Angel Dust CD.

All in all, I would say that "Of Human Bondage" is a very, very good CD. Will I think it's a great CD in a few weeks or will I grow tired of it quickly? I can't say yet. As with any disc, only continued listening will bring that answer. Regardless, Angel Dust has released a killer disc, similar in many ways to "Enlighten the Darkness". The differences between these two discs lie in the band's approach. First off, Angel Dust has grown heavier. After touring with Nevermore, Opeth and God Forbid, this is hardly unexpected. However, this new found heaviness does not come at the expense of their melodic sensibilities. Personally, I like the new approach. Ritchie's guitar playing, albeit less given to anthem-style tracks ala "Bleed", is a welcome edition. Angel Dust now has in it's midst a guitar player who can actually play a solo worth listening to. Beyond Ritchie's bad-ass guitar play, Steven Banx's keyboards are more present on this disc, than they were on "Enlighten", but without ever taking the spotlight off of Ritchie's guitar as the primary instrument. Dirk, who sounds as strong as ever, did not leave the Nevermore tour without picking up some tricks from Warrel Dane. However, these influences are subtle, and quite possibly lost on all but the most hardcore of Nevermore fans. Dirk Assmuth, whose drums drive this disc more so than they did previous releases, does an excellent job on this release. Together, he and bass player Frank Banx create the perfect back end for everything going on up front. All in all, I would recommend this CD to any Angel Dust fan.

GZ