Breakfast with Raccoons

Tide In Mind Out

ct_thrash
Mar 5, 2002
Watch, it's kinda cute. It was a little after 5:00 am Wednesday morning. I came out of the shower, glanced out the window, and saw this on the back porch. Our kitty didn't even seem to care :p

Last edited by a moderator:
raccoons.jpg

In my experience when cats and raccoons meet it usually ends up in fatal injuries for the cat. I suppose in this case resources are ample and it makes more sense for the animals to ignore each other than to risk injury fighting.

In my experience when cats and raccoons meet it usually ends up in fatal injuries for the cat. I suppose in this case resources are ample and it makes more sense for the animals to ignore each other than to risk injury fighting.

Yep, I read quite extensively about behavioural characteristics in predatory animals pretty recently.

It seems that the cognitive checklist (so to speak) when it comes to hunting can be rewritten depending on circumstance. The example was that a cat will always hunt and kill a single mouse when in confinement together, but with 10 mice they kill a few and play with the rest and with 100 they tend to just ignore them. Perhaps the same sorta thing.

oh and SO CUTE!

Raccoons! I always see raccoons and possums scurrying about by the lake at night. I came home last night to a massive possum sitting on the curb picking at a squirrel carcass , it was grim.

hmm thats cute...i dont think we've raccoons over here or something never saw them...

but we have these little fellows:
Steenmarter_21.jpg

ac574steenmarter.jpg

083ea43301.jpg

Martes Foina

they are not so funny, as they look though :p they bit the cables in my neighbours car "his new Corvette" well...thats funny but i hope they dont do that with my car...