brexit

Compared with...?
Well for me personally it's not a great country if you like alternative stuff, so if you're into that and have it as a lifestyle, the quality of life is kinda gonna be shite. Lived in England my entire life and every friend I've had that have moved to another EU country or nearby have been like "NEVER COMING BACK" etc.

So, ideally I'd rather move to Germany. I have family there who were saying it's much cheaper to live in Germany. Plus I love it over there, the people are more friendly in my experience. The alternative scene is huge there too which is awesome. :)

Though I would presume New Zealand and Canada be the absolute best for quality of life, but for personal reasons I'd like to go there.

If you're English and you want to live in the EU why not move to Ireland.

I'm not bothered about being in the EU, but you can't really have a bunch of English people move to Ireland when the Irish absolutely hate the English lol. I've got friends who live over there for work who get dirty looks just for their accent, so, not really worth all the hassle of that imo.

If Scotland become independent, they hate the English too but not as much as the Irish I guess so probably better to go up there :rofl:

Since a majority voted to leave, how are most people angry about leaving?

This. The majority of people are obviously not annoyed about leaving, that's a preposterous thing to suggest.

It's especially preposterous to say that the only people that are happy about leaving are racists. Actually quite a disgusting view honestly.

Leaving the EU may give UK citizens more influence over their government, but if it reduces the UK's influence on the world stage, how do you know UK citizens will really have more freedom overall?

It won't do that I don't think. But if the U.K. only have influence because they're attached to a rapidly failing union experiment than so be it.

I doubt that's the case though, the world speaks English, the world is England's oyster still.

Well for me personally it's not a great country if you like alternative stuff, so if you're into that and have it as a lifestyle, the quality of life is kinda gonna be shite. Lived in England my entire life and every friend I've had that have moved to another EU country or nearby have been like "NEVER COMING BACK" etc.

So, ideally I'd rather move to Germany. I have family there who were saying it's much cheaper to live in Germany. Plus I love it over there, the people are more friendly in my experience. The alternative scene is huge there too which is awesome. :)

Though I would presume New Zealand and Canada be the absolute best for quality of life, but for personal reasons I'd like to go there.

The fuck does 'alternative stuff' even mean, and how is London not better than most places in the world for it?

And do you think you'll actually be able to get into New Zealand or Canada?

I'm not bothered about being in the EU, but you can't really have a bunch of English people move to Ireland when the Irish absolutely hate the English lol. I've got friends who live over there for work who get dirty looks just for their accent, so, not really worth all the hassle of that imo.

If Scotland become independent, they hate the English too but not as much as the Irish I guess so probably better to go up there :rofl:

I've never had any problems with being English whilst in Ireland or Scotland. And I like to drink in shitty, run down, non-touristy pubs.

The fuck does 'alternative stuff' even mean, and how is London not better than most places in the world for it?

And do you think you'll actually be able to get into New Zealand or Canada?
I've never had any problems with being English whilst in Ireland or Scotland. And I like to drink in shitty, run down, non-touristy pubs.

Why would you ask what alternative stuff "even" is and then go on to say how London is the best place in the world for it despite insinuating you don't know what alternative stuff is? :rofl:

That's yer own personal experience with Ireland. I have mates who've moved there and hated the abuse from the Irish, not talking about Northern Ireland. Scotland is great though, never heard much bad about it up there apart from the odd snide look in pubs and the occasional football hooligan abuse.

Who said I wanted to go to New Zealand or Canada? I mentioned their quality of life was good. I want to go to Germany, shock horror but there are other places in the world apart from London that actually have a decent metal community and it's quite big in Germany. And yeah you can actually get into those countries if you have the skills required.

And no, London is a pile of wank, it's ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the country, I don't know anyone up here who likes going to miserable Landaaan, apart from the druggies who linger in Slimelight but that's another story.

@CASSETTEISGOD

Well, that's majority of what I see around me. People blaming racists and the racists blaming immigrants and then old people being blamed by the younger generations for voting "on a future they won't be around to see". Then all these people who voted leave suddenly changing their minds because of the banks crashing and that government petition reaching millions of signatures. It's all a bit of a headache really and absolutely ridiculous. Some of the arguments I've seen in the last few days are just cringe-worthy in a kind of funny way.

As I said though, I don't care and I didn't even vote, I'm just amused by it and repeating information that I see myself to you wonderful forum people. :)

That's fine but what you did just now was go from insinuating that majority of people don't like the decision and that those that voted leave were racists, now you're saying it's just what other people are saying.

You didn't imply that initially.

I agree that it is a clusterfuck of outrage and opinion right now, on my facebook an American friend of mine just posted a status giving her condolences as if voting to leave the EU was like a death in the family. It's been hilarious actually, especially among the few remain Brits I'm friends with, so salty. I've been enjoying laying on the hurt, causing some Barney Rubble.

Reactions: Dak
I don't care about the EU thing frankly. I've seen people loosing their shit about it on facebook though. My local town group had a civil war over it.

Here is my take, yes there is a notable division between the educated and the less educated with the latter tending towards the brexit orientation. However, I see that and raise you your own Noam Chomsky's comments on education. Basically the education system, at every level, rewards conformity, not critical thinking. In the current year, the shiny status symbol thing is liberalism, so the "smart" people go for that, in other years it has been other things and other "smart" people have gone for other things.

@CASSETTEISGOD

Don't think I intended it to sound that way as I was being sarcastic a lot. Although I'm quite angry at racists/bigots in general at the moment for the whole immigration thing which is ridiculous. Every foreigner who works for us we've never had a problem apart from a few broken English incidents and yet it's the Brits that work for us we end up sacking because they sit around and take too many breaks and seem to make majority of the drama in the workplace up. -_-

Ive seen a couple sources say that the vote was influenced a lot by the older generation, and that lots of the millennials and younger generations were actually not for leaving. Unfortunately the decision will probably leave the Brits with a bit of a recession before they make trade deals to improve things. So I guess it's bad for people who are just starting to enter the workforce at the moment.

The kiddies will thank their parents and grandparents later for choosing their freedom for them. Dumb kids don't know the value of it yet

I don't care about the EU thing frankly. I've seen people loosing their shit about it on facebook though. My local town group had a civil war over it.

Here is my take, yes there is a notable division between the educated and the less educated with the latter tending towards the brexit orientation. However, I see that and raise you your own Noam Chomsky's comments on education. Basically the education system, at every level, rewards conformity, not critical thinking. In the current year, the shiny status symbol thing is liberalism, so the "smart" people go for that, in other years it has been other things and other "smart" people have gone for other things.

That's funny since it seems like the opposite to me, all the intelligent people I know that actually research topics in order to have informed views leaned towards leave while all the (frankly) dumbasses I know as well as every vapid idiotic celebrity in existence leaned remain.

Then again Trump supported leave too so by no means are Brexiters the genius party, but it's interesting that my experience with this is basically the opposite to yours. Of course, my view is from the outside on the internet and the few Australians here that care enough to have even a passerby opinion.

Ive seen a couple sources say that the vote was influenced a lot by the older generation, and that lots of the millennials and younger generations were actually not for leaving. Unfortunately the decision will probably leave the Brits with a bit of a recession before they make trade deals to improve things. So I guess it's bad for people who are just starting to enter the workforce at the moment.

Seems like the main problem is that remain had too many silly young people that didn't bother to vote, virtue signalling en masse while the old farts cared enough to actually vote.

@CASSETTEISGOD

Don't think I intended it to sound that way as I was being sarcastic a lot. Although I'm quite angry at racists/bigots in general at the moment for the whole immigration thing which is ridiculous. Every foreigner who works for us we've never had a problem apart from a few broken English incidents and yet it's the Brits that work for us we end up sacking because they sit around and take too many breaks and seem to make majority of the drama in the workplace up. -_-

You and I define racism very differently. Wanting reasonable immigration policies and more power to control your own borders isn't racism and that's essentially what fuelled leave from what I can tell. Unless you're saying that all the non-white Brits that voted leave are just all of a sudden internalised racists?

Last edited:
That's funny since it seems like the opposite to me, all the intelligent people I know that actually research topics in order to have informed views leaned towards leave while all the (frankly) dumbasses I know as well as every vapid idiotic celebrity in existence leaned remain.

Through talking to people at work (quite a variety of people though a good 3/4 are 'working class' and probably didn't go past GCSEs/O levels), reading shit on Facebook, watching the TV, listening to the radio and browsing and attempting to debate on various news sites my conclusion is that that's a load of shite.

Then again Trump supported leave too so by no means are Brexiters the genius party, but it's interesting that my experience with this is basically the opposite to yours. Of course, my view is from the outside on the internet and the few Australians here that care enough to have even a passerby opinion.

Ive basically seen the same trends in my experiences. As for the Trump comment, id say that given his talks/opinions on trade policy it only makes sense for him to support a country's independence. Trump is basically anti-globalist, so supporting remain would basically be in direct opposition to his campaign message. Britain's decision basically shows that as a country they are in line with what he is saying about trade, for better or worse (I am deciding to remain neutral, but with a Clinton/Trump choice, im gonna choose Trump).

Seems like the main problem is that remain had too many silly young people that didn't bother to vote, virtue signalling en masse while the old farts cared enough to actually vote.

I find it funny that the brexit referendum will probably be more beneficial in the long term, but the older people were all (relatively) for it. Voter turnout was said to be quite high, so im not sure if it was won mostly because young people didnt bother to go out to vote (I havent come across any data on voting demographics yet, but I havent specifically looked for it either).

You and I define racism very differently. Wanting reasonable immigration policies and more power to control your own borders isn't racism and that's essentially what fuelled leave from what I can tell. Unless you're saying that all the non-white Brits that voted leave are just all of a sudden internalised racists?

Its the knee jerk reaction. Because exiting tightens up immigration policy, it automatically implies xenophobic and racist reasons. We are seeing the same response from anti-Trump supporters in America who call Trump a racist. I dont believe that he is, but on the other hand I can understand the allegation considering his non-PC attitude when it comes to casually dropping race labels in a way that politicians have been scared to do for decades.

Reactions: CiG