Brilliant and Accessible Bands That Should Be More Well Known

TheBahggs

WAT
Feb 21, 2008
Waterford, MI
There are certain artists that I can understand their underground status due to the extremity of their nature like Grand Belial's Key or Jig-Ai, but there also exists a massive list of bands with an accessible sound and true authenticity that I will simply never understand their lack of recognition.

Examples:
Deceased
Melechesh
Frightmare
Nekromantheon
Repugnant
Oblomov

Porcupine Tree should be the biggest band in the world imo. It boggles my mind that these guys aren't touring the world selling out massive stadiums in mere minutes with the stuff they've put out.

I think I understand their lack of fame. They need better names. I consciously avoid bands with names like Jdefalsktator.

^The Morningside is a brilliant band. Love that album.

Porcupine Tree is very well known now right? They are mostly headliners on the shows\festivals they are playing. I never got into them, so I guess they are not that accessible to all. But I own them another listen.

PT is pretty well known, and getting more popular, I'm not a fan though. Not big on prog in general.

Briton Rites is a great accessible band that more people should be listening to though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see what the big deal abotu PT is. Every time I sample them I just get bored. Maybe I haven't listened enough to "get it".

They're like a modern day Pink Floyd, except better, which is why I said they should be the biggest band in the world. It should be a criminal offense to have never listened to this guys imo.

Yes they are "big" by metal standards, but they are no where near as big as they should be. They should be as big as The Beatles were in their era, and the Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, and all the way down the line.

They're like a modern day Pink Floyd, except better, which is why I said they should be the biggest band in the world. It should be a criminal offense to have never listened to this guys imo.

Yes they are "big" by metal standards, but they are no where near as big as they should be. They should be as big as The Beatles were in their era, and the Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, and all the way down the line.

Might be why I don't appreciate them much. Pink Floyd is annoying as shit.

I'm not quite sure how that is possible but ok.

The spacey-ness of much of their music is annoying (to me), and when I initially disliked it, many of their fanbois told me the problem was I needed to listen to it while "high" and then I would omgfuckingtotallygetit. This cemented my dislike for the band.

I genuinely dislike most of the famous early rock bands, excluding Zeppelin, and some of The Doors stuff.

The spacey-ness of much of their music is annoying (to me), and when I initially disliked it, many of their fanbois told me the problem was I needed to listen to it while "high" and then I would omgfuckingtotallygetit. This cemented my dislike for the band.

I genuinely dislike most of the famous early rock bands, excluding Zeppelin, and some of The Doors stuff.

Fair enough. I grew up listening to bands like this so I've been a lifelong fan.

Porcupine Tree is really good, but sometimes they get a bit carried away in whole 'being progressive' thing and end up being too spacey and full of themselves.

The only album i think PT ended up being full of themselves is with their new one The Incident. Yes it's an hour long concept album but tbh it bores me. The second half of the album with "Bonnie The Cat" "Flicker" "Black Dahlia" on the other hand are all amazing songs.