Bruce

I agree MoonChild Dance of Death is a very SILLY song.. personally I see it as embarressing for Maiden.

The second half of the song is ok i guess but that slow build up is SO lame..

BTW Hi Moonchild :)

I now am the proud owner of The Chemical Wedding and I think it's a great album. There are some mighty fine basslines in there too that I love! It reaffirms my belief that the bass is the sexiest instrument around. :worship:

I love this album. I just thought it was excellent up until a couple of weeks ago, but now I listen to it once or twice a day at work.

Another album that has grown on me is Tyranny of Souls. It was average, run-of-the-mill on the first couple of listens, but now I think it's one of the best albums I've heard in the last two or three years. Some awesome songs, especially Devil on a Hog which absolutely rules.

The Chemical Wedding was my favourite album for the first few years after it's release. I haven't listened to it in a long long time, but it is still up there with my favourites. Accident Of Birth is fantastic as well, and possibly better, but TCW has something about it. Magic.

I would never have understood William Blake's poetry without CTW (Phloggy helped out with all that in a thread here many years ago). Prior to hearing that album I thought Blake was just an old crank who spent all his time blathering on about sick roses.

W

TCW is one of the all time great albums. It's never out of rotation for very long around here.

ToS is great too, but there's just something extra great about TCW.

Some awesome songs, especially Devil on a Hog which absolutely rules.

Funilly enough I thought that was a bit of a 'filler track' on the first few listens, but now it's one of my faves too.

"Can someone explain to me what Jerusalem has to do with England?"

Blake was saying that England was in such a mess when he wrote the poem that it wasn't fit to rebuild Jerusalem on. That's why it always amuses me when I hear those words sung as a hymn about what a wonderful site England would be for the Holy Land :lol:.

W

Ah. Because I also read a book once called "Paddling to Jerusalem", which was about the author travelling around England (on the rivers) in a canoe.

Wrathchild said:
"Can someone explain to me what Jerusalem has to do with England?"

Blake was saying that England was in such a mess when he wrote the poem that it wasn't fit to rebuild Jerusalem on. That's why it always amuses me when I hear those words sung as a hymn about what a wonderful site England would be for the Holy Land :lol:.

W

Can you fill me in on the background to this?

There are ancient churches in the English Isles that have depictions of corn and tomatoes...some hundreds of years prior to the Portuguese heading off for the other side.

Supposedly some Templar thing, where they were searching for the promised land, rebuilding Solomon's temple, hiding holy grails.

The promised land has been UK, US, Israel and Oz.

From what I can gather, Blake might also be referring to the legend that Jesus may have visited England when he was a young bloke. Check out this site for more info. Here's a bit of cutting and pasting for yis:

There are at least four separate and independent British traditions that say that Jesus as a youth travelled to Britain with his uncle Joseph of Arimathea, spending many years in Glastonbury, which was a prominant center of Druidism. This is also confirmed by many independent sufi traditions which link sufism and Druidism. (See The Sufis, Indries Shah.)

Some interesting stuff there, actually.

Anyway, here's Blake's poem. It's sort of disappointing in a way, because I don't know exactly how much of the great lyrics on "The Chemical Wedding" were written by Bruce and how much was lifted from Blake's poetry.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen?

And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!