Brutal/Slam Death Metal

Hmm I don't have any Immolation, what's the best album of theirs to start with (and yea I couldn't find the regular Death Metal thread)

Dawn of Possession... now quit talking about non brutal or slam death metal before other people start doing it. ;)

Given all the comparisons to Suffocation or Incantation I just assume they're somewhat brutal although not slam and that it would thus be permissible to post here just this once :)

It is, but they're not "brutal death metal" to anyone but people who don't know what brutal death metal actually is. Most death metal is "brutal" compared to a ton of other music, but that terminology doesn't fly 'round here.

Anyway, some new S-M posts up now, dudes should check it...WORMED NEWS!!

Isnt it because they're all from New York and spawned around the same time? (actually, I'm sure that's why they're compared to each other)

Question on Gorevent...I listened to Abnormal Exaggeration and liked it, but was left wishing that the guitar sound was at least existent. Is the production any better on the split with Embryonic Depravity?

Hmm I don't have any Immolation, what's the best album of theirs to start with (and yea I couldn't find the regular Death Metal thread)

This One
post-336091-1140140558.jpg

Question on Gorevent...I listened to Abnormal Exaggeration and liked it, but was left wishing that the guitar sound was at least existent. Is the production any better on the split with Embryonic Depravity?

The tracks on the ED split are demo tracks, so no not really. The main problem with that album is definitely the production which sounds way too bass-y with not enough slamming guitars or something. The drumming is much more impressive and varied than the obvious recommendation I'd give for fans of them though, Abominable Putridity (who have one of the strongest overall productions in slam).

It's interesting to compare the production of ED and Gorevent on the split. One gets used to the Gorevent's thick sound (which I like aswell as cc), then the ED side seems kinda flat sounding, but it's not, it's the other way around.

Septycal Gorge's new album's cover, also by Marco Hasmann and also fucking badass:

l_540b4e28b7b148b5b7ed8f8c0cc4157e.jpg

cover400.jpg

THIS GUY IS A MONSTER BADASS BRUTAL ARTIST.

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was just the quality of the download or if their production is a little different.

btw...I read about the first 20 or so pages of this thread. VVVVV and cookiecutter, you guys have an infinite amount of patience when answering questions about brutal slam. You guys must really like this genre. :)

Usually BDM with multiple breakdowns or "slams" through out the song. Check out Devourment, they are the granddaddies of slam.

btw...I read about the first 20 or so pages of this thread. VVVVV and cookiecutter, you guys have an infinite amount of patience when answering questions about brutal slam. You guys must really like this genre. :)

I cannot speak for Nick (OK I kinda can in a way because I know he feels similar about this) but it is sometimes because we are tired of the misconceptions and bad stereotyping that goes on with slam. Sure, a lot of it is dumb as fuck, we get that. It just gets way too much of a bad rap. And besides, dumb slam rules...Vulvectomy is a good example. That shit is about as close to neolithic simian level brutal music as it can get, but it's awesome. Supremely entertaining and artfully created; like a lot of this music. It's done by passionate people for a genre they feel like they are part of, and that is something no amount of outside detraction can take away.

Slam death is a great style of metal to be a fan of right now, though, too. It is fairly easy to contact and network with various bands...I mean, we got an interview with Devourment after, what, a year into the blog? The Internet is just useful as hell in so many ways, so we're glad to be using it to spread what we are passionate about! Glad you appreciate our effort though.

And...yeah that artist is killer.

I know what you mean about the slam metal that most would characterize as dumb. Lately, I've been wanting to hear more brutal death metal that is catchy and doesn't try to be the most technical, fast, or complex. Vulvectomy was recommended by cookiecutter and I am definitely liking it atm.