Brutal/Slam Death Metal

Coincidentally most of the people on SMN are fucking morons and most of them also love Psalms of the Moribund and Condemned and stuff so I couldn't give two shits what they think tbh.

Fuck me, brah. I'm not amongst Psalms' biggest fanboys, but that shit is lightyears ahead of most of the stuff mentioned ITT (imo).

Enter the Philosoraptor:

2567ip4.jpg

29ff71u.jpg

I've been to quite a few boards, and SMN was probably the worst collectively as far as tastes went. So I wouldn't trust their opinion, and the Psalms of the Moribund thing pretty much proves that.

Differing opinions means I have no idea what I'm talking about, of course.

Here, I'll demonstrate quickly that I can back up my (obviously) wildly controversial slam opinions, because SMNnews, the forum where hipster faggots are the norm and the actual news is lol-worthy is clearly more credible:

Reasons I dislike Psalms of the Moribund, taken from here:

songwriting is catastrophically overrated and, frankly, bad. production is messy and dingy with no real clarity EVER, and this kind of production doesn't really suit the abundance of things they're trying to accomplish. vocals are too quiet and indistinct. slams are de-emphasized in favor of fast, blurred riffs with zero direction. bass is sometimes distracting and over-emphasized for no discernible reason. drumming is unfocused and, though precise to a fault, sometimes defaults to fast, blurred snare rolls (in Devourment fashion) with no reason to do so. so, in essence, this falls into a lot of the same pitfalls a bunch of modern tech death falls into, but it hurts my feelings that this is so well rated.

Average SMN monkey's reasoning for liking Psalms...

this shits fuckin heavy dude, the growls are really low and its cool to hear jazz influence in slam

So, with that said...

And with regards to the Philosoraptor, yes, Gorepoflesh is awesome, yes you probably just don't get it similar to how I don't get Despondency (even after the myriad ways you described it, all of which I don't really find fault with; a lot of what I do is deep analysis into things probably not meant to be analyzed to such an extent) and yes I do know what I'm talking about. :p

edit: Oh and SMN is quite well known for having the most herdlike mentality of people on a metal community probably ever. Good example of this is the Soulflesh Collector press-release for the new Scrambled Defuncts; it started with everyone going "OMG this is ear-fuckingly bad!" then at some point a few people were like "actually it's okay...", then on the third page a guy with a user title like "academic musician" said it was good and everyone changed their mind. It was lampshaded by a few posters including the academic guy himself, but it was hilarious anyway. :lol:

Despondency is boring, not horrible.
Gorepoflesh is amazing, anyone who disagrees listens to slam for the wrong reason.
SMN Sucks.
TT rules.
Fuck off with the Despo cocksucking.

I still do not enjoy gorepoflesh, but I think it's absurd to make a statement like that. I never did believe that every person could enjoy every band in said genre. I just prefer a specific dose of slam like you all. You guys seem to go so in-depth with why bands are great or bad, but with me it's just the sound and vibe/feeling that I get that attaches me to a band or album. I love slam, nothing gives me a feeling quite like putting on a new slam record, especially if I know it should be good.

there seems to be a lot of these "wigger" slam bands and scene popping up, it REALLY is giving slam a fucking horrible name, Even spelling it, "$lam" fucking pisses me off, or, "this band is br00tal", or however they fuckin spell it.

writhing afterbirth put tracks from their cd up on myspace. they are pretty sweet imo. they changed their vocal style but the new songs are pretty awesome.

Psalms is awful.
Slam fans hate it because its too random.
Hipster metalheads like it BECAUSE of its randomness.
Let's all listen to an album that jumps around so much that even listeners of PsyOpus can't follow the structure.

New albums going to be great, I hope, but Psalms was a majorrrrrr misstep by an otherwise great band.

Despondency still sucks.

Actually Psalms does have some really good moments. To me the main problem is the production wich didn't suit their technical songwriting and make everything blurry.

Actually Psalms does have some really good moments. To me the main problem is the production wich didn't suit their technical songwriting and make everything blurry.

Yeah, there are other technical issues too as I mentioned in my post, but that was a huge problem. Good, talented bands should NOT sound like that if it doesn't suit what they're doing.

BLASPHEMER "Devouring Deception"
Coming this Summer!

Italian based Blasphemer prepare to enter the studio this Spring! Sessions set to begin soon for recording the follow up to the 2008 technical opus "On the Inexistence of God". With this new release titled "Devouring Deception" you can expect a blasphemous offensive against all that is pure and holy, delivered in a mature and modern sound with flawless execution. This EP release will also include bonus live tracks and video! Everyone take notice now, the Italian death metal monster has returned!

I'm looking forward to this. These guys are one of my most liked brutal death metal bands.

Anyone get their hands on the new Gorevent? I don't even know if they mailed my copy yet. lol