Brutal/Slam Death Metal

been streaming this shit all goddamn week
Deathmetal.JPG

61%2BhsQGUk0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

didn't realize how great these albums really are. . .

I think the general consensus is that the main difference is slam's "breakdown" style of chunky, chromatic riffs, whereas BDM is more just about stripped down and punishing song structure. It's a REALLY minor difference though and it's only obvious when a band is TOTALLY one or the other.

I think the general consensus is that the main difference is slam's "breakdown" style of chunky, chromatic riffs, whereas BDM is more just about stripped down and punishing song structure. It's a REALLY minor difference though and it's only obvious when a band is TOTALLY one or the other.

This seems pretty accurate. I separate it by breakdowns and often times vocals. The vocals in slam almost sound like burps...Also, there's more structure to brutal death whereas slam is just a brutal assault. But SomeGuyDude is right, it's really minor differences though so it just makes sense to sum the music up as brutal/slam. I can barely tell the differences most of the time.

To me, this is slam:

This is brutal death:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Malignancy tip. A band I had until now overlooked...clearly I've been missing out. Fantastic stuff. Listening to Inhuman Grotesqueries now and it rules.

Barrett told me at CIM that Vulvectomy is working on a new album, and they're using A REAL FUCKING DRUMMER. I'm expecting great things.

Pathology headlining on the Slaughter Survivors Tour last night. Got the setlist, and a pic (below).

Pathology Setlist 7/23/2012 (I added what album each song was from. New = Time Of The Great Purification):

Imprisoned by Fear *New
Dissected by Righteousness (Awaken)
Ingestion of Cremation (Awaken)
Media Consumption (Awaken)
Tyrannical Decay *New
Hostility Towards Conformity (Awaken)
Emesis (Age)
A Bleak Future *New
Society's Desolation (Awaken)
Code Injection (Legacy)

pathology3.jpg

Actually I can separate BDM from slam with two bands I think personify the different sounds.

Brutal death:

Slam:

Slam tends to be a little slower, "chunkier". Which I prefer tends to vary with mood. When I'm feeling straight-up murderous, it's BDM. When I want to bang my head so hard my nose bleeds, it's slam all the way.

Last edited by a moderator: