Brutal/Slam Death Metal

Age of onset was blah. I have the new pathology. Been sitting at my computer, sealed for about a week. Really need to give it a few listens.

Not slam at all, but does anyone else dig Animals Killing People? I usually don't go for that straight deathgrind in the vein of Circle of Dead Children, but their intensity and songwriting really strikes a chord with me.

animal killing people seems kinda interesting, though i imagine the croak/gurgle vocals will turn off a lot of people---and maybe me if there's too much of it throughout the album with no instrumental portions.

in a way they seem like a much, much more refined and coherent version of mexican slop shovelers paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis or a much sloppier and far less rifftastic version of brodequin. it's intense for sure and quite raw. good vibe too.

i'll check out their ep--comatose has it. thanks!

Not slam at all, but does anyone else dig Animals Killing People? I usually don't go for that straight deathgrind in the vein of Circle of Dead Children, but their intensity and songwriting really strikes a chord with me.

I dig. Kentucky fried killing is awesome. The guy who sang on the album can be pretty "bland" and emotionless for most, but they had another singer last I heard of them, and he was much better. I've heard nothing more from them in a while though, don't know if they're still active. Also, as a vegan, I can relate to their message, but I liked them before being one so it's not just that.

I dig. Kentucky fried killing is awesome. The guy who sang on the album can be pretty "bland" and emotionless for most, but they had another singer last I heard of them, and he was much better. I've heard nothing more from them in a while though, don't know if they're still active. Also, as a vegan, I can relate to their message, but I liked them before being one so it's not just that.

I am also a vegan and enjoy their over-the-top lyrics. Even more entertaining than Cattle Decapitation's pro-veg lyrics. :p

i got my copy of the necrambulant album and it's quite good--- not a bdm album with some slam parts, but an album mostly comprised of slams, in the vein of epicardiectomy and cephalotripsy, but with better riffs and more focused arrangements than those two bands (and a few more digressions into other riffing styles, eg. tremolo hooks).

tons and tons of slam, happening here and a good sound. vocals are a steady gurgle and the least interesting element, but serviceable.

this necrambulant is up there with craniotomy, perverse dependence, carcass, necrovile, rattenfanger and expurgate as my favorite death metal album thus far this year. suffocation, and laceration just below those.

I have a hard time rating slam/brutal death in the same breath as other death metal. They're fun and all, but I just don't feel like they're anywhere near the same level as carcass or gorguts or what have you.

i understand you, though i don't think the gap is that big between the best slam/bdm and more classic death metal. my favorite death metal albums are things like those once loyal, honour valour pride, slumber of sullen eyes, necroticism, heartwork, domination, grave damnation (necros christos), the rack, on divine winds (hail of bullets), but i think bdm -- and slam -- is getting more interesting as it gets more feel and/or compellingly arranged -- and will deliver some classics like these before long. for me, the best albums by craniotomy, kraanium, pathology, abominable putridity, dysentery, necrambulant, perverse dependence, urogenital macrophage, suffocation, necrovile are already getting up there. and things like enmity and amputated genitals also push musical boundaries in very interesting ways---not in the wanker direction, but in churning violent maelstrom within which dark music is hidden.

i expect in the next few years, there will be stuff that you think compares to classic death metal acts, though i've been accused of being an optimist.

I will say 2013 is probably the best year ever for brutal death metal. The genre exploded in the past couple years and so much good has come lately...

I will say 2013 is probably the best year ever for brutal death metal. The genre exploded in the past couple years and so much good has come lately...

I have to agree, so many good bands coming out right now, and Defeated Sanity, Guttural Secrete (R.I.P. by the way) have released some killer albums. And not really Brutal Death metal, but I can't stop spinning the Carcass album, so damn good!

surgical steel really exceeded expectations. like necroticism and symphonies and reek, the second half of the album is even better than the first.

Extirpating the Infected teaser

Necromorphic Irruption teaser

Gastrorrexis's new album that I didn't even fucking know about until I saw it on facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought that gastorexxis--- it sounds like a big step up for them. i'm also enjoying the re-release of kraanium's art of female sodomy (though there's too much singing, a lot of it has a great character) and also the first perverse dependence disk, which is good, though not as sterling as the new one, which is one of my favorites this year.